Selectronic Rcore Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am now building a PSU with R-Cores from Selectronic... these are quite good sounding devices.

Does anyone have any experience with them ?

These come with primary wires coloured in White and Black.... which colour should I use to connect to live and neutral ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would expect white for hot, are they not marked at all with this info?

One that I have in hand is marked as: 230V White/Black 15V Violet/Gray 15V Blue/Red. I have it configured as single 30V secondary with Gray & Blue tied together. They usually give 10% more secondary voltage than printed spec when not very heavily loaded on most European wall sockets. Primary side I use White for hot, Black for neutral, and Yellow for mains earth. Yellow is marked as ''Ecran electro-statique'' i.e. Ground electrostatic screen. They are custom made for the French vendor by SHILCHAR India as trained and jigged by the Japanese originally. You can see the SHILCHAR factory logo molded on the plastic bobbin former rings under a light varnish coating layer.

One that I have in hand is marked as: 230V White/Black 15V Violet/Gray 15V Blue/Red. I have it configured as single 30V secondary with Gray & Blue tied together. They usually give 10% more secondary voltage than printed spec when not very heavily loaded on most European wall sockets. Primary side I use White for hot, Black for neutral, and Yellow for mains earth. Yellow is marked as ''Ecran electro-statique'' i.e. Ground electrostatic screen. They are custom made for the French vendor by SHILCHAR India as trained and jigged by the Japanese originally. You can see the SHILCHAR factory logo molded on the plastic bobbin former rings under a light varnish coating layer.

thanks for the confirmation Salas, i'm buying some of the tiny PCB mount ones from Selectronic for my dac at the moment, but havent got any in hand yet

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
i'm aware of the codes, but no, i'm not convinced the EU transformers will follow the US codes, as confirmed by Salas

Then they don't follow anyone's codes then, EU requires EU color codes which are Blue, Brown, and green/yellow stripe.

Black and White conductor color do have specific meanings for North American markets.

What sort of approval do these parts carry? None? :D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In USA & Canada certainly Black=line, white=neutral. In Europe Brown=line, Blue=Neutral. In UK black used to be neutral, now is blue too. Now, something made with possibly French spec has a White, a Black, and a Yellow primary side. I.e. Go figure. It did not resonate or got hot in my case black or white to line either way.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think I found their site here: Welcome to Selectronics (Guj) Pvt. Ltd

Since it is an Indian manufacturer that manufactures to customer specification it is hard to know whether any of their component lines have explicit UL/CSA or VDE approvals, that is not to say that OEM end customers do not get the required certifications. I'd be a bit cautious..

This web isn't Selectronic web, Selectronic web is: Résultats de recherche pour : 'r-core':D

Silchar site http://www.shilchargroup.com/

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had been using black for neutral because it dawned on me, when they are made in India, what is the color code in India? Well, white appeared nowhere in my little google search but black appeared always as neutral both in single and 3 phase systems. Again, go figure bcs the two other colors did not make sense.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have attached the datasheets for two lines of Silchar R-Core types which clearly state that they are built to comply with CSA and UL standards.

Not sure whether any of the types listed are those discussed here.

Please note also that Silchar is a UL registered firm. I think you can safely assume that the color codes are based on North American convention.

Attachments

• R-Core model 1.pdf
    110.8 KB · Views: 156
  • R-Core model 2.pdf
    112 KB · Views: 124
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'd recommend once we get to the bottom of this that the thread be cleaned up to reflect.

Yes, but lets wait a little to see if someone has kept their printed catalog, the one they always pack with goods. That one surely had a guide page of how to use the two secondaries in parallel or series, don't remember if it was showing the primary side with dots too. I just looked, mine is gone too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.