How to power these boards on DC? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2012, 07:53 AM   #1
mkv is offline mkv  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default How to power these boards on DC?

Hey guys,

Forgive my beginner questions, I'm learning as I go along.

I'm putting together a little DIY audio project, and I found this great preamp board which I want to use. The problem is though that the board specifies that it requires an AC supply, however the project is mobile and will be running on DC. Am I able to run this board on DC somehow or do I have to find another preamp?

The preamp is pictured here:
NE5532 Preamp DIY Treble Mediant Bass Blance Volume Board Aseeembled $20.73 Free Shipping @GoodLuckBuy.com

It seems alot of these preamps using the NE5532 require an AC aupply. How can one get around this?

Thanks for your help!
Mark
Old 26th June 2012, 09:08 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You could try feeding in a DC supply, say 20-0-20V. The AC probably goes straight to a bridge rectifier so you can feed DC through it. This device probably will not function from a single DC supply without some reworking - would be easier to start again if that is your aim.
Old 26th June 2012, 09:13 AM   #3
mkv is offline mkv  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I have had a quick look around for an off the shelf dc to dc supply, say 12V DC to 6-0-6, or 24V DC to 12-0-12.

Haven't found anything...

It's easy to find DC powered class D power amps for what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find any volume/bass/mid/treble preamps which run on DC for my needs... Can anyone suggest something?

Thanks for the help!
Old 27th June 2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

The board has on board rectifiers , regulation and filtering for turning AC to filtered DC .....
If this is going to be a mobile you can use 2 x 9v batteries in series to get a +/-9v dc supply , You would need to mod the Rectifier/regulator section of the pcb to accept a DC supply , it could be as easy as installing a couple jumpers .....

Old 28th June 2012, 05:35 AM   #5
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I see 3-pin regulators... likely to be 12V or 15V...
Old 28th June 2012, 07:46 AM   #6
MarianB is offline MarianB  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MarianB
That board requires AC suply because it has it's own bridge rectifier and filtering caps, and stabiliser just after them, the stabilisers seem to be 7812/7912 so it would be as simple as feeding the DC supply voltages directly on the capacitors pins ( the 2200uF/25V ones ), no modification needed, just be careful to respect the polarities. If DC supply voltages are smaller than 12V ( or equal ) but they are from some battery so stable than you need to bypass the stabilisers, just remove them and with a jumper feed the voltages from the caps to the Vout of the stabilisers, it's sound complicated but in fact it's verry easy.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You can't simply apply a single supply to a circuit designed for a dual supply. Single supply is less popular now, but I would have thought that the internet still has lots of simple preamp circuits for 12V. Just look for them. There is a 12V based tone control being discussed in another thread on here right now.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I do not remmber saying that he should use single supply, ofcourse it should be a simetrycall DC supply ( i sayd voltages, not voltage ), so as someone else sayd use two 9V batteryes and all should be ok, just bypass the stabilisers.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

No, he implied he wants to operate from a single 12V or 24V DC supply - presumably a battery? See post 3. He can of course use two batteries.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ok sorry then... as i see he sayd that he was looking for some DC to DC converter from a sigle supply to simetricall one ( for example 24Dc in <=> +/-12VDc Out...) , but he did not find anyting ( he might try floating ground..), i might be wrong but this is what i understud from message #3.

Two 9V batteries are more than ok, the power consumption for that board is verry low so the batteryes should last long time, and they are cheap.

Last edited by MarianB; 28th June 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!