How to power these boards on DC? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2012, 11:16 AM   #11
mkv is offline mkv  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. To answer your questions, I am trying to run it from a single DC supply, namely a battery. From what I understand I could use 2 batteries in series, then take a tap off their join for the '0V'?

I guess I could use a 24V charger across the two 12V batteries if I wanted to charge without removing them?

Single source preamp/tone control circuits aren't THAT easy to find, however I have found a fairly easy one to make using the TDA1512A. That will solve all my needs, and I think I'll just use Class D amps for battery based applications.

Thanks!
Mark
Old 28th June 2012, 10:40 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I think that cct is using 12v regulators.
If you are using 12V batteries, remove the regulators and fix a jumper across in to out.
those regs probably use more power than the rest of the board
Old 29th June 2012, 05:21 AM   #13
MarianB is offline MarianB  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MarianB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizgeek View Post
...I think that cct is using 12v regulators...
I've already sayd it does on the other page, so it's nothing new

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizgeek View Post
..those regs probably use more power than the rest of the board...
Not likely, they have a quiescent current of les than 10mA ( about 6,5 to be exact ), the OA on the ather hand requiers more than that, ( about 20mA each ), but anyway, that is NOt the reason why he should bypass the regulators ( sayd that too myself ) but thing is the regs need some minimal Vin-Vout difference to work properly, you cannot power a 12v regulator with 12V and espect it to perform well, on the other hand, powering an OA from batteryes makes the regs useless cus the voltage is already fairly stable.

@mkv that board requires split supply so eyther 9 or 12V battery you still ned 2 of them, connect them in series and take the 0 point ( ground ) from the batteryes joyning point, connect them directly on the filter caps pins and bypass the regulators as i say before, that is all you need to do.
Old 29th June 2012, 06:19 AM   #14
alayn91 is offline alayn91  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,

It's written on the ad:
"- Input voltage:AC15V-0-AC15V"

So, you only need a transformer.

Regards.
Alain.
Old 29th June 2012, 06:26 AM   #15
MarianB is offline MarianB  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MarianB
@alayn91 didn't you read anything? @mkv specified that he wants to power the board directly from DC supply, he wants it to be mobile so a transformer is out of the question here.
Old 29th June 2012, 06:36 AM   #16
mkv is offline mkv  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alayn91 View Post
Hello,

It's written on the ad:
"- Input voltage:AC15V-0-AC15V"

So, you only need a transformer.

Regards.
Alain.
Hi Alayn91,

Thanks for the reply. But I'm looking to power from a DC source, like a battery. I'm going to do the twin 12V batt setup though, then charge across them with a 24v charger.

M
Old 6th July 2012, 12:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

You could try this: Switching boost Power Supply board DC12V to DC±32V 180W | eBay I bought one of these from this guy and it works just fine! The component quality is actually quite good and it operates pretty cool powering a load (when properly heatsunk).

Because the preamp board you're looking for has a bridge rectifier on the input, you can apply AC (naturally) or DC and it will work fine. With +/-DC voltage applied, the current will just flow through two diodes only, but still work fine.

Next, because the preamp board you're looking at uses input regulators, most likely 7812/7912 (or 9V, 15V), and they can handle up to 37Vin, so applying the +/- switching regulator with an output of +/-32VDC, it will work just fine.

Plus, there should be enough power left over to run a power amp along with the preamp all from the same supply.

You'll have to check on shipping to your location, but this is a reputable seller and a great price for the complexity and quality of the supply.
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 6th July 2012, 11:46 AM   #18
spwalek is offline spwalek  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you need the 24v swing? If not I would suggest bypassing the regulators and building a negative voltage pump with a 555 timer. If it's just opamps you shouldn't need a ton of current and it will keep the weight down if it's portable. just a thought

Hide this!Advertise here!