help with power supply, really stressed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2012, 10:12 PM   #1
sam18 is offline sam18  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default help with power supply, really stressed

hey guys been pulling my hair out trying to find a power supply schematics for a +45v and -45v power supply. its the only thing holding me up in my build and im not going to lie i need help as everything i try just doesn't seem to give me the negative voltage i need.
any help with be much appreciated.
thanks sam

this is the amp im building if its any help.
300 Watt MOSFET Real HI-FI Power Amplifier | EEWeb
Old 21st June 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Sam I've moved your thread to the powersupplies forum. You might want to have a read through this Elliott Sound Products - Linear Power Supply Design It's pretty long but should give you a good grounding in powersupply design

Tony.
Old 21st June 2012, 10:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hello thanks, sorry still learning where things go on a seccondry note, how do i workout what the primary and seccondry inductance will be on a 300va 45-45v transformer?
Old 21st June 2012, 11:42 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam18 View Post
how do i workout what the primary and seccondry
inductance will be on a 300va 45-45v transformer?
Hi, Why would you want / need to know that ?, rgds, sreten.

Project 101 - High Power, High Fidelity MOSFET power amplifier
Old 21st June 2012, 11:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

because im using a software called proteus (what i was trained on) and need to know how to set up a transformer
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default What do you have so far for your power supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam18 View Post
hey guys been pulling my hair out trying to find a power supply schematics for a +45v and -45v power supply. its the only thing holding me up in my build and im not going to lie i need help as everything i try just doesn't seem to give me the negative voltage i need.
any help with be much appreciated.
thanks sam

this is the amp im building if its any help.
300 Watt MOSFET Real HI-FI Power Amplifier | EEWeb
Do you have a picture, schematic, or a basic list of parts for your power supply? If you're only getting the positive rail and not the negative, it could be something as simple as a measuring problem, all the way to something possibly lethal. If we have something to start with, we can give you some much better advice where to proceed.

In the mean time, utilize extreme care with the supply, and I'd definitely do some reading on the suggested Elliot Sound site. That site is a wealth of audio and power information that seems to be very accurate and science/measurement-based.

On a side note, you may want to search this site for information on the amp you built/are building. A cursory look shows an issue with the bias circuit and a couple other potential problems. With the vast history of amp reviews done on this forum, your amp is bound to have been looked into, so you shouldn't need to start a new thread.
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

A simple Dual rail linear PSU for a power amp isn"t really that tough ......

A 2 x 35v AC transformer or a 70v CT transformer with a 25A bridge rectifier , 4 x 10,000uF 50V+ caps , a couple 1w resistors and a couple small film caps for the snubber will get you a quiet reliable PSU for a power amp ......

I have never had to simulate this type of PSU as most are very simular , some with more capacitance and some with less ......

the designer of this amp says he prefers to use a lower capacitance PSU which i don"t agree with at all but to each his own .....

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

here is my current design, it uses a 300va 45-0-45 transformer (currently being substituted with two alternators running at 45v each) bridge 1 is a 200v/35a and the +/- 45v is working perfectly. its the +25v im having trouble getting to work, its very unstable, anyone got any ideas? thanks sam
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...rridge/pic.jpg
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Bump
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Your schematic is very small and hard to read. What voltage is coming across C6? It looks like you are missing a voltage-dropping resistor on your 25v+.

Hide this!Advertise here!