Need help:Power supply Capacitor!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to repair a transformer that blew a capacitor inside of it and I can't make out what to replace it with. All I can make out on it is a "63" and "12" it looked like a film capacitor with heat shrink on the outside. I found the numbers on the heat shrink part so not sure if anything to do with capacitor? If somebody could give me a good guess of what to replace it with I would be great-full!:) Here are some pics of the power supply.

T-opto transformer 001.jpg

T-opto transformer 002.jpg

T-opto transformer 003.jpg

T-opto transformer 004.jpg

T-opto transformer 005.jpg

T-opto transformer 006.jpg

T-opto transformer 007.jpg .

You have given us four good pictures of the burnt PCB, and two out-of-focus pictures of the capacitor. The other way round would be more helpful!

Although the box describes itself as a transformer, it appears to be an SMPS.

Sorry, Capacitor was so damaged i didn't think it would be much value to look at. The two numbers I found were on the small crumbs that broke off of it.
Any other pictures needed please let me know.
Thanks

This looks like an "electronic transformer" for low voltage lighting, ie, as mentioned above, a switchmode PSU. It is very unlikely that simply replacing the blown cap will effect a repair. If you are not experienced with this type of PSU it is not advisable to try and repair it.

OK, I see what you mean! You would need to discover what made this cap go up in flames. Probably best to just replace the whole unit, unless you are skilled in fault-tracing on SMPS.

Yes, I am pretty good with fault tracing. I work on mainly audio equipment and video equipment. But I was hoping to maybe come across someone familiar with this type of electronic transformer that would make me feel better about my guess of what would replace it.
The problem was, they had 300 watts of light load on a 250 watt electronic transformer. This is the last capacitor in the circuit before going into the flyback to convert down to 12 Volts so it carried most of the load in high voltage. all the high voltage npn's check out good.
I guess worse case scenario I will send off an email to the manufacturer and ask what goes in the c8 slot.
And to the other guys suggesting replacement - I like to be challenged :crazy:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.