series regulated power supply with feedback for Nelson Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,
Can any one give any schematic for series regulated power supply around 30 V on rail with 20-30Amp capability.

Objective: an ultimate Single Ended Class A amplifer.

Items at hand: Heat sinks (for regulator and recitifers) 8 incx8 inch real good,
4x 300Amp Hitachi diodes for rectification, 2 x1DI500-030 , 3000W PD, 500 A darlington BJT for intended rectifier use.

Amp design and wattage not decided yet. around 100-200W Pure Class A.

Power consumption and inefficiency is not a consideration.

Any design with simple series BJT with op-amp feed back. Regards

Agreed. I have two 2500W BJT which i salvaged from a used UPS station costed me USD 15 each. hence the reason for already available devices at hand.

Its for two channel at the moment, i may upgrade to 4 channels in future for bi amping

As i want to least stress each active component of my system hence i assume i would not be using no more than 800 VA of each BJT for very safe , reliable and linear operation.

That's completed ridiculous and a waste of time. Speakers need a lot of power for dynamic peaks in the music we listen to. A 20W amplifier will clip a lot with properly recorded music. You may not recognise it at mediocre levels but it's there and will not sound as good as a more powerful amplifier. I recommend at least 150W/ch for proper listening. Proper high fidelity active speakers afoten use over 500W/ch total per channel on small 5" drivers.

SE also has very high distortion, very low output powers, are very big and extremely inefficient. To me there are no wins what so ever.

Here is a simple series voltage regulator circuit I've used. No noisy Zeners.:) Use the power Darlington as the emitter follower. Adjust the values as needed for the voltages you are using.

Attachments

• regulator.jpg
    regulator.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.