Power transformer question, any helpful suggestions welcome

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a (big) transformer I salvaged, the primary wires are L/ground/N and scondary provides 2 reds a red with white stripes-/+55v (wich I dont plan on getting anywere near) 2 blue and a blue with white stripes -/+ 14.3v. Im planning to power an amp to add a good boom to my house sound system, Im using my car amp, i have the transformer wired into a 50a bridge rectifier, and. Just beacause I have them and never used them before i connected a big 10,000uF 75vdc cap, wich then I connected to the amp, i had my multimeter connected at the connecting strip and i tried powering it no sound comes out and the amp goes straight into protect mode, the meter read 16-18v dc. I thought about putting a L7812cv i have but it only does 1a tops. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I know the risks I run and I do take necesary pracautions. HELP PLEASE :)

Hi,

If its a normal audio transformer, the high voltage rails are also high
current rails, and the low voltage rails are also low current, for the
pre-amp stages, and they simply won't drive a power amplifier.

You'll probaby end up just burning out the low voltage rails.
Measure the DC resistance of each secondary and report back.

rgds, sreten.

I have a (big) transformer I salvaged, the primary wires are L/ground/N and scondary provides 2 reds a red with white stripes-/+55v (wich I dont plan on getting anywere near) 2 blue and a blue with white stripes -/+ 14.3v. Im planning to power an amp to add a good boom to my house sound system, Im using my car amp, i have the transformer wired into a 50a bridge rectifier, and. Just beacause I have them and never used them before i connected a big 10,000uF 75vdc cap, wich then I connected to the amp, i had my multimeter connected at the connecting strip and i tried powering it no sound comes out and the amp goes straight into protect mode, the meter read 16-18v dc. I thought about putting a L7812cv i have but it only does 1a tops. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I know the risks I run and I do take necesary pracautions. HELP PLEASE

how big is big? try using a variac to lower the voltages...

Whats the max current the transformer will supply? Easiest way to go; (depending on the current output),use a large (50 watt) zener (or two), or a string of regular diodes (might be cheaper and not need a heat sink) to clamp the voltage.

Just string 22 of these together, no heat sink required. Amazon.com: 10 Amp 1000V Axial Diode Rectifiers (Pack of 30): Everything Else

You dont need a regulated supply, the amp will do that itself, so the regulator circuit would be overkill. And a lot more complicated (you would need a large power transitor)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.