Power transformer question, any helpful suggestions welcome - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2012, 11:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Power transformer question, any helpful suggestions welcome

I have a (big) transformer I salvaged, the primary wires are L/ground/N and scondary provides 2 reds a red with white stripes-/+55v (wich I dont plan on getting anywere near) 2 blue and a blue with white stripes -/+ 14.3v. Im planning to power an amp to add a good boom to my house sound system, Im using my car amp, i have the transformer wired into a 50a bridge rectifier, and. Just beacause I have them and never used them before i connected a big 10,000uF 75vdc cap, wich then I connected to the amp, i had my multimeter connected at the connecting strip and i tried powering it no sound comes out and the amp goes straight into protect mode, the meter read 16-18v dc. I thought about putting a L7812cv i have but it only does 1a tops. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I know the risks I run and I do take necesary pracautions. HELP PLEASE
Old 8th June 2012, 02:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

To make a long story short I need a way to regulate voltage. And suggestions on the power supply, additions or anything helpful
Old 8th June 2012, 06:20 PM   #3
spwalek is offline spwalek  United States
diyAudio Member

Do a search on 7812 circuits with a pass transistor for current boosting. I had to do something similar for my toolbox amp.

Good Luck
Old 8th June 2012, 07:01 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If its a normal audio transformer, the high voltage rails are also high
current rails, and the low voltage rails are also low current, for the
pre-amp stages, and they simply won't drive a power amplifier.

You'll probaby end up just burning out the low voltage rails.
Measure the DC resistance of each secondary and report back.

rgds, sreten.
Old 9th June 2012, 06:59 AM   #5
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHeTToNoMiKS View Post
I have a (big) transformer I salvaged, the primary wires are L/ground/N and scondary provides 2 reds a red with white stripes-/+55v (wich I dont plan on getting anywere near) 2 blue and a blue with white stripes -/+ 14.3v. Im planning to power an amp to add a good boom to my house sound system, Im using my car amp, i have the transformer wired into a 50a bridge rectifier, and. Just beacause I have them and never used them before i connected a big 10,000uF 75vdc cap, wich then I connected to the amp, i had my multimeter connected at the connecting strip and i tried powering it no sound comes out and the amp goes straight into protect mode, the meter read 16-18v dc. I thought about putting a L7812cv i have but it only does 1a tops. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I know the risks I run and I do take necesary pracautions. HELP PLEASE
how big is big? try using a variac to lower the voltages...
Old 9th June 2012, 06:19 PM   #6
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Whats the max current the transformer will supply? Easiest way to go; (depending on the current output),use a large (50 watt) zener (or two), or a string of regular diodes (might be cheaper and not need a heat sink) to clamp the voltage.

Just string 22 of these together, no heat sink required. Amazon.com: 10 Amp 1000V Axial Diode Rectifiers (Pack of 30): Everything Else

You dont need a regulated supply, the amp will do that itself, so the regulator circuit would be overkill. And a lot more complicated (you would need a large power transitor)

Last edited by cbdb; 9th June 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!