Building my own 24V Battery Pack. Chargers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Default Building my own 24V Battery Pack. Chargers?

I'm building a 24V battery pack from 16x Sanyo Eneloop Batteries in a 8x8 pack. It will fit in a modular battery pack that my speaker dock will attach to when I want to make it portable. What power is needed to charge them? What will I have to look for as far as numbers go?
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 07:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakmont PA
You will need 20 cells to get 24 volts. You will need a charger designed for NiMH batteries. You really are better off using a group of cell holders and using a standard off the shelf charger!
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 09:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
You will need 20 cells to get 24 volts. You will need a charger designed for NiMH batteries. You really are better off using a group of cell holders and using a standard off the shelf charger!

I totally forgot they were only 1.2V. So, I found a 10 x AA Cell holder to get the 12V. I'll use 2x of those.. Then By off the shelf charger, do you mean something like this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 09:26 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dona paula, Goa
Yes if u want to charge it as 2 packs of 12 volts, othewise if u want to charge as a 24 volt single pack, buy a charger capable of charging 24 volts.

U have to set the charging current as specified on the battery and disconnect it after the period/time specified.

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited by gmphadte; 31st May 2012 at 09:29 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 01:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakmont PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leejin View Post
I totally forgot they were only 1.2V. So, I found a 10 x AA Cell holder to get the 12V. I'll use 2x of those.. Then By off the shelf charger, do you mean something like this?
You got it exactly! NiMH are fussy about charging. If you over charge them all you do is reduce their useful life!
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 03:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
You got it exactly! NiMH are fussy about charging. If you over charge them all you do is reduce their useful life!
Awesome.. Thanks.. NiMH aren't as finnikey as Li-Ion or Li-Po are they? Don't those chargers have to monitor each cell individually?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 03:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Rundmaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Hey there,

if it doesn't need to be extremely portable, and very easy to charge, I would suggest using sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries. These come in multiples of 6V and are very easy to charge via a (possibly current-limited) constant voltage.

Using them as a symmetric preamplifier supply at work (physics lab) as well as for powering astronomic telescope equipment at home.

Best regards,
Andreas
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 03:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakmont PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leejin View Post
Awesome.. Thanks.. NiMH aren't as finnikey as Li-Ion or Li-Po are they? Don't those chargers have to monitor each cell individually?
Yes Lithium cells have to be done individually!
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 04:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundmaus View Post
Hey there,

if it doesn't need to be extremely portable, and very easy to charge, I would suggest using sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries. These come in multiples of 6V and are very easy to charge via a (possibly current-limited) constant voltage.

Using them as a symmetric preamplifier supply at work (physics lab) as well as for powering astronomic telescope equipment at home.

Best regards,
Andreas
I would LIKE it to be ultra portable.. But also, I want this thing to be ALAP (As Loud As Possible). I'm so torn between these 2 Amps. No idea which to choose..
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 04:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakmont PA
32-302
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Pack Burnout scwhiteley Power Supplies 4 2nd April 2010 12:01 AM
Battery Charger for 15V Li-ION Battery Pack ??? Jan Dupont Parts 2 11th April 2009 02:18 PM
Semi-dead battery pack TroelsM Everything Else 8 25th January 2008 07:23 AM
Battery pack as PS? evilentity Power Supplies 4 14th May 2005 07:48 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:58 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2