fixing torodial xformers to a chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
howdy folks,
im new to all this diy audio stuff. anyway im bangin a power amp together and ive a fair idea but just need to check with you the good folks of the community, about affixing a torod transformer to a chassis. as far as i understand you can epoxy the center or put a cap on it (shaped like a cymbal) with two rubber mats one for top and bottom i suspect and a bolt through it.

1 - how would an epoxy centre work.
is it just glued into place?

2 - how does the bolt and cap work?
i think it goes rubber mat torod rubber mat metal cap with the cap concave into the transformer. from there the bolt goes down the middle from the top and is bolted on the bottom. sound about right?

im just not to sure how it all goes together. if anyone has any handy links or youtube vids that'd be tops. cheers all

The mounting sequence is: Metal 'cap' - rubber mat - totoid - rubber mat - chassis. please have a look at my stereophonic ELEKTOR Crescendo amp, you can see what I mean:

Attachments

• Bottom_2.jpg
    Bottom_2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
howdy folks,
but just need to check with you the good folks of the community, about affixing a torod transformer to a chassis. as far as i understand you can epoxy the center or put a cap on it (shaped like a cymbal) with two rubber mats one for top and bottom i suspect and a bolt through it.

My advice would be to use whatever is supplied with the toroid.

1 - how would an epoxy centre work.
is it just glued into place?

The epoxy indeed acts as a glue, but the bond is incredibly strong. I have seen equipment returned that fell during transport. The aluminium plate on which the toroid was hung would be bent, but the toroid itself was undamaged.

The toroid is clamped to a chassis.

i think it goes rubber mat torod rubber mat metal cap with the cap concave into the transformer. from there the bolt goes down the middle from the top and is bolted on the bottom. sound about right?

Yes, the toroid must always be in contact with the rubber discs and never any metal.

im just not to sure how it all goes together. if anyone has any handy links or youtube vids that'd be tops. cheers all

Attachments

• Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 333

You can use a steel rivet nut on the bottom in place of the nut. It makes for a neater installation.

howdy folks,
im new to all this diy audio stuff. anyway im bangin a power amp together and ive a fair idea but just need to check with you the good folks of the community, about affixing a torod transformer to a chassis. as far as i understand you can epoxy the center
Depends...small toroids sometime come with glued in mounting nuts, yet most and larger ones use steel mounting sets. You usually don't epoxy toroids yourself!

If you aren't using a riv nut (like me), it's a good idea to insulate where the bolt passes thru the chassis, and where the nut tightens on the bottom. Nylon washers and nylon tubing over the bolt works well.

Just prevents any possibility of creating a shorted turn scenario. As the top plate and the chassis act as cheeks, and the rest is history.

6J6.

Unless you can provide proof, this is complete horse ****.

What you call 'horse ****' is basic electrodynamics / transformer theory. Please go back to 'Start' and read the basics.

A closed conductive loop around the core (formed by the bolt and the conductive chassis) will act as a single, low-resistance turn, effectively shorting out the transformer, as AndrewT and SY stated correctly.

Andreas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.