fixing torodial xformers to a chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What you call 'horse ****' is basic electrodynamics / transformer theory. Please go back to 'Start' and read the basics.

A closed conductive loop around the core (formed by the bolt and the conductive chassis) will act as a single, low-resistance turn, effectively shorting out the transformer, as AndrewT and SY stated correctly.

Andreas

...and you don't understand basic magnetic theory. The effect you are so concerned about only concerns magnetic materials, like steel. So, maybe you should re-read transformer theory again.

Dirk, it's not conducting magnetic energy. The "magnetic energy" induces a current into the shorted turn possibly formed by the bolt and the other, i.e., chassis elements. It's the same effect as if you took the ends of the secondary winding and connected them together.

Dirk, it's not conducting magnetic energy. The "magnetic energy" induces a current into the shorted turn possibly formed by the bolt and the other, i.e., chassis elements. It's the same effect as if you took the ends of the secondary winding and connected them together.

Yeah, thanks. I finally figured it out. Everyone else just said "look it up". That's one way to really **** me off.

Only if somebody looks at it and thinks about it. What are the odds of that happening? I reckon the closest you'll get is a "Whatever, I don't care!" response.

I'm sorry you feel that way. One thing that is clear to me is that if someone really knows what they are talking about, they can explain it in a clear, precise, and succinct way. No one did this up to the one post where I finally understood what everyone was talking about. It appears to me that they do not understand what they are talking about if they can't explain it. So, when someone says "just go look it up". or "you're wrong", or "that's the way it is", then that really doesn't help me at all and it just becomes more and more frustrating for me to try to understand.

Actually, in the "go back to start" post the explanation was right there...

What you call 'horse ****' is basic electrodynamics / transformer theory. Please go back to 'Start' and read the basics.

A closed conductive loop around the core (formed by the bolt and the conductive chassis) will act as a single, low-resistance turn, effectively shorting out the transformer, as AndrewT and SY stated correctly.

you just chose to fire back with
...and you don't understand basic magnetic theory. The effect you are so concerned about only concerns magnetic materials, like steel. So, maybe you should re-read transformer theory again.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Think about it Dirkwrigt, you were telling people who knew better than you that they were wrong, but they still politely tried to point you in the direction that would lead to enlightenment.

It's much more likely you will find the truth if you have to discover it yourself than have someone else tell you what it is.

Tony.

One thing that is clear to me is that if someone really knows what they are talking about, they can explain it in a clear, precise, and succinct way. No one did this up to the one post where I finally understood what everyone was talking about.

Dirk,

I am sorry that I started my post with this unlucky 'go back to start' expression. Of course it would have been better to try to explain what I was talking about. In defence of myself, I have to say that I gave an explanation, afterwards. At least.

I guess what p***ed me off was the way of your first post in this discussion, calling the (correct) statement of someone else 'horse ****' instead of maybe asking if this might be only true for magnetic materials, if you weren't sure.

So maybe let's all try to learn something from that thread, and back to topic ;)

Greetings from Germany,
Andreas

Hi Everyone. Is iot OK to mount toroids one over the other in a stack? I have 2 - 1000VA 58-58 toroids for a dual mono supply. I have a lot of height in the case, so to save space I thought I would mount them in a stack. Is their any special mounting hardware to mount them that way? Thanks, Bob

Hi Everyone. Is iot OK to mount toroids one over the other in a stack? [...] Is their any special mounting hardware to mount them that way? Thanks, Bob

Hey there,

as SY already said, there's no significant reason not to stack them - maybe heat dissipation issues if both toroids are operated at their full specs.

Concerning the second question, I would try to adapt and modify the 'standard' mounting method, using a longer bolt:

rubber washer / toroid / rubber washer / toroid / rubber washer / metal plate

or even:

rubber washer / toroid / rubber washer / metal plate / rubber washer / toroid / rubber washer / metal plate

Mounting will probably be easier and more stable if both toroids have a epoxy-filled center with only a small mounting hole for the bolt.

Another concern comes to my mind: Two 1000VA toroid cores may be a quite heavy (local) load for the chassis/case you're using. Make sure it doesn't bend.

Greetings,
Andreas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.