Dual voltage from a battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I have built a cMoy style headphone amp using a single 9v PO3 battery as the power supply, which I have to sst sounds great. I was looking back over the schematic and I don't quite understand it.

I have 2 resistors of 4.7k connected in series from pos to neg of the battery with 220u caps accross them giving me +-4.5v and a virtual ground. Obviously the op Amps run off the +-4.5 and can draw whatever current they need, but I don't understand how the current is drawn through the headphones. For example, when the output of the opamp is on the positive part of the wave, you have the current going to the speaker, through it's cool and the to virtual ground, surely from here it had to get back to the negative of the battery, and the only way is through a 4.7k resistor, hence limminiting the current.

An I missing something obvious?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi - no I don't think you're missing something important in what you are saying. If you want to supply the amplifier through a low impedance PS you can increase the capacitor values (which will help for "shorter time" current boosts) or make a power supply which has a lower output impedance at + gnd & -.

Also, unless your battery is rechargeable the way the resistors is connected means that there's a constant draw of ~ 1 mA whether you play or not. Don't know if this is feasible in your context ...?

There are many approaches to power supplies, however, my own preference is for simple, yet careful designs with selected components. If you make a search here on DIYaudio for power supplies you can find many entries to this.

Best regards,

Jesper

yes, but many IEM's these days are multidriver and thus even models with nominal 28ohms can present less than 10ohms at low frequency. just something to be aware of, these type of power supplies driving headphones with virtual ground have been thoroughly debunked over the last few years.

If you've got the space use 2 x MN1400s (PP3s for us Brits).

The R's and C's will just exhaust your battery.

SORRY - I should have looked at the photo, you haven't got room for 2 x MN1400s.

You could use 2 x CR123A's but you would have to devise your own battery clip.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.