why not 3 phase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This question is bugging me from time to time,
why shouldn't 3 phase powersupply be used for high end audio amplifiers?
Supposedly smoother DC could be achieved, seems quite reasonable.
Might some PA system be using this setup, I'm not realy into those.

Any opinion ?

Sure, three phase will provide for a lower ripple power supply, all things being equal. But reasonable it is not. To be done properly, you need either a three phase transformer, 3-single phase transformers, or 2-single phase transformers connected open delta. More iron equals more cost.

Then there is the issue of availability, which for US residents is less than 1% of the population. Utilities normally will not install a three phase service unless kW demand is a minimum value. Chances of getting three phase residential service is almost nil.

Better off with a bigger DC choke than using three phase. Permanently installed high power systems, such as auditoriums, churches, arenas, etc would be fine with it; I'm guessing most of those are 208V.

Sure, three phase will provide for a lower ripple power supply, all things being equal. But reasonable it is not. To be done properly, you need either a three phase transformer, 3-single phase transformers, or 2-single phase transformers connected open delta. More iron equals more cost.

Then there is the issue of availability, which for US residents is less than 1% of the population. Utilities normally will not install a three phase service unless kW demand is a minimum value. Chances of getting three phase residential service is almost nil.

Better off with a bigger DC choke than using three phase. Permanently installed high power systems, such as auditoriums, churches, arenas, etc would be fine with it; I'm guessing most of those are 208V.

1% ????
3 phase 16A / phase is the standard here, while i do agree that some residents to not have 3 phase wall connectors. Quite a surprise actualy. I was thinking USA people like dish washing machines and sortha stuff that requires 3 phase usualy.

True, very few homes in the US have 3 phase power, only a few in mixed use neighborhoods even have the option.
8000 Volt 3 phase power entries my neighborhood, but only a single phase line goes down each street. Then a single phase transformer steps it down to 240 Volt center tapped.

I have seen numerous posts claiming that North America does not use the 3phase system and that they have a split phase system.
Poppycock.

Look outside at the cables strewn across the country. They are in groups of three for the three phases. Just like everywhere else that uses a 3phase system.

The Crown MacroTech 10,000 used 3-phase power input. Output was low, like 1/2 ohm, recommending 0-guage speaker wire. Used them at the Indianapolis Speedway if I'm not mistaken? Some of the high-power audio-range class-d 3-channel amps from Techron division also used 3-phase input, but those were moslty used for MRIs. So if you find someone scrapping an old MRI, grab the 3 power amps for your subwoofers!

A company I sometimes work for supplies a large piece of film equipment all over the world including North America. We don`t change the voltage rating for 110 volts (the current would be too great), the customer just runs it across the two phases and it works fine.

Last edited:
Wow, how this audio forum continues to degrade when power systems are discussed. Bring up isolation transformers, and hang on for the ride.

In the US, setting aside HVDC transmission, which is irrelevant in this discussion, all power is generated with three phase generators, stepped up with 3p xfmrs, carried over 3p transmission lines, stepped down with 3p xfmrs, and distributed with 3 phase distribution lines.

Typical 3p distribution voltages range between 24.9 kV (line-line) and 8.32 kV. Normally, the utility has a grounded wye secondary at these voltages; ungrounded or high impedance systems exist, but are either being phased out or are unique and rare. The 'neutral' conductor is carried through and grounded often at regular intervals. This helps with ground fault sensitivity.

Commercial installations will use a 3p transformer to provide 3p service at less than 600V. Some regions of the US also allow primary rate customers who own their own step-down.

Residential customers are provided with split single phase, ALMOST WITHOUT EXCEPTION. The utility provides a single phase transformer and connects it up to the 3p system, normally line-ground (another reason why the neutral is carried through). This is the most cost effective way to provide single phase; yes, they could install a transformer suitable for line-line single phase primary, but the extra bushing adds to the cost. Secondary winding simply has a grounded center tap, 120/240V.

More remote areas will only provide a single 'hot' and a neutral at distribution voltage, supplying all those customers from the same phase. A well designed system will split up these single phase taps equally, such that the overall loading on the 3p line and substation transformer are reasonably balanced.

It is my understanding that across the pond they do it differently, and 3p service to the residence is fairly common. Consider yourselves lucky.

Last edited:
The other draw back of 3 phase is that the hum is 3x the basic frequency or 180hz
Or even 360hz

If we use a three phase bridge rectifier (six diodes), the resulting hum frequency ist six times the mains frequency, i.e. 300 Hz in Europe or 360 c/s in U.S., respectively. Ripple is only about 14% of peak voltage - even without any filter cap. This is the reason for the relatively low filtering capacitance used in these Philips beasts.

From Wikipedia:

Waveform_fullwave_rectifier3.png

Best regards!

This question is bugging me from time to time,
why shouldn't 3 phase powersupply be used for high end audio amplifiers?
Supposedly smoother DC could be achieved, seems quite reasonable.
Might some PA system be using this setup, I'm not realy into those.

Any opinion ?
By "high end" I wonder if you really mean "high power." It seems that's the main reason to use 3-phase in anything.

If you want 3-phase in a (USA) home, there are companies such as this one that make "phase converter" products of many sizes:
Rotary Phase Converter, Static Phase Converter, and CNC Phase Converters - Phase-A-Matic

I can see this for serious home woodworkers with big machinery that use 3-phase motors, but that's all.

For a stereo (or even mono) amp? It seems overkill. The advantage is obvious if 3-phase is easily available, but I don't see where it's a big deal. We got plenty of big enough electrolytic capacitors for 50-60Hz single-phase full-wave power supplies.

It seems the main reason for using 3-phase is for high power, as in motors substantially larger than 1 horsepower, and as others said, 3-phase service is limited to industrial areas where such higher power devices are used.

120V with the usual (in the USA) 30A circuit breaker gives 3.6kW Use one power circuit for each channel, and you can get loud sound with even the most inefficient speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.