SMPS Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SMPS Help

Hi, I'm looking to build a SMPS for a class D amplifier. The supply needs to provide around 200V and 1-2A. Ideally it should be reasonably small (an inch or 2 high and up to 6 inches long).

I have made many fairly high voltage linear power supplies for valve amplifiers and a few other applications, but I am pretty new to switched mode amps and was looking for some guidance. I have done quite a bit of reasearch and found that the forward converter topology looks like a good starting point but all the existing designs I can find convert mains voltage down to something like 12V. Where is a good place to get the necessary high power parts from in the UK and does anybody have any ideas which might get my design progressing a bit better?
Old 25th April 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
As Abraham Pressman says in his book, the forward converter may be with one or two transistors conducting simultaneously. In both cases, the trouble will be a large output smoothing inductor. Appears that flyback topology is more recommended for HV supplies.
There is another thread with a same theme:
Choke formula - Marty Brown

Regards.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:03 PM   #3
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would be inclined to start with a known good power supply, then rewind the transformer and alter the feedback voltage divider so as to get 200V instead of 5V. Or if it's for a car amp, same thing, except use a common amp that you have docs for.
Old 26th April 2012, 01:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies - sounds like quite a good idea to modify an existing supply. I've got a few books like Osvaldo recommended and they're proving helpful. I need to do some more reading around the topic for now I think.
Old 27th April 2012, 01:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Default L6565

Im planning to build a L6565 and STD7N60 quasi-resonant converter to test the performance of such a scheme.

Hide this!Advertise here!