What the hell happened to transformer prices - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2012, 04:18 PM   #1
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default What the hell happened to transformer prices

Transformers tend to be very reliable and so unless buying for a new project etc it's not something one often needs to buy as a replacement for a faulty unit.... But today I needed one for a customers amp.
To say I was shocked at the price rise since about a year and a half ago would be putting it mildly!!
I was expecting the 35 0 35 120VA toroid to be around £16 - £22 but found them to be actually £32 - £41
I tried a few suppliers and found the same thing.....
I've heard of inflation but that's ridiculous.
Any one have any inside info on this? Is it the global rise in metal prices?
Old 19th April 2012, 04:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is it the global rise in metal prices
Old 19th April 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The price of copper has gone up quite a lot. Here in the USA, at least where I live, we have experienced a rash of copper thefts. Anything is game: streetlight wiring, air conditioner condenser coils, internal wiring in unoccupied homes, etc., etc. Pretty crazy!

-Charlie
Old 19th April 2012, 04:56 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Looks like my collection of new or hardly used transformers could turn into an investment.

My very small stock 2sk389 & 2sj109 and 2sj74 may already be appreciating.
Old 19th April 2012, 05:10 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

In the UK the favoured items for metal theft seem to be:
lead from church roofs, railway power and signalling cables, telecomms cables, copper gas pipes (yes, they will saw off a live gas pipe - someone will get a Darwin award eventually). After several years of hand-wringing our government have now insisted that scrap metal cannot be bought for cash - hopefully that will at least make disposing of it slightly harder.
Old 19th April 2012, 05:17 PM   #6
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
copper gas pipes (yes, they will saw off a live gas pipe - someone will get a Darwin award eventually).
Old 19th April 2012, 05:30 PM   #7
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
In the UK the favoured items for metal theft seem to be:
lead from church roofs, railway power and signalling cables, telecomms cables, copper gas pipes (yes, they will saw off a live gas pipe - someone will get a Darwin award eventually). After several years of hand-wringing our government have now insisted that scrap metal cannot be bought for cash - hopefully that will at least make disposing of it slightly harder.
The same is the case here. At least the railway power lines. Some of the wires carry 1650 V dc, and others 25 KV 50Hz.
I wonder who makes the first cut, i'd rather play Russian roulette.
Best regards Ebbe
Old 19th April 2012, 05:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don´t forget that they are being an obsolete product as SMPS are lowing costs and space and are more and more reliable.
Old 19th April 2012, 05:54 PM   #9
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There was actually a scum bag who was fried to death whilst trying to steal cable just a few months ago Good riddance I say!

So it is indeed due to metal prices eh? That was my guess....
The range of available voltage and VA ratings seems to have lessened somewhat also Maybe due to the increased use of SMPSU..?

I have all sorts of transformers laying around the place but non suitable for this job unfortunately...
Old 19th April 2012, 05:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Copper was $.85 a pound a year ago in the quantities that I buy it. Today it is $3.55. Steel was $.12 a pound today $.50 to $1.00!

One is that China is building infrastructure and adding to the cost.

Two is that the cost of mining and transportation is up due to fuel price increases.

Three is that metals are being sold to speculators (A.K.A, fools) as an investment.

When I first notice it was cheaper for me to buy loudspeaker inductors from distributors inventory than to wind my own from newly purchased copper wire!

BTY the old patio furniture we had outside the shop for lunch etc. got stolen for scrap!

Hide this!Advertise here!