What the hell happened to transformer prices - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2012, 06:55 PM   #31
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

a closer look

looks like C-core to me, but ofcourse I can't see if there's any air gap
but I guess there will have to be, when built like this

tough life to be left fully opened in the dirt and rain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6762.JPG (112.8 KB, 193 views)
Old 17th May 2012, 07:04 PM   #32
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
a closer look

looks like C-core to me, but ofcourse I can't see if there's any air gap
but I guess there will have to be, when built like this
Definitely a (bit rusty) single c-core.
It has a "gap" in the middle (c-core is two equal halves, you see the band holding the halves together).
Normally the halves are pressed tightly together (minimal gap), but high quality transformers can have a real (minor) gap to make the core less prone to saturation (can happen when there is DC like low frequency line pollution).
The single c-core is a good geometry as most of the core is "covered" by the bobbins (minimal strayfields, approaching toroidal core properties in that regard).
Old 18th May 2012, 02:44 AM   #33
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
If prices really fall, then it is also likely that means you won't have any money either!
I've used copper prices as an economic indicator too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cu.jpg (23.3 KB, 179 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 18th May 2012, 03:04 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

I almost hate to make a suggestion justifying the new norm, but line frequency transformers just aren't getting specified in new designs like in the past except maybe in ultra hi-rel or low noise applications. Since switchers use a small fraction of the wire and no steel, orders for small steel cores and line transformers are probably permanently down, which makes the likelihood of getting in on a good 'volume price' less likely as time goes on..
Old 19th May 2012, 07:36 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

last i heard the transformer prices were through the roof because china was expanding so rapidly.

but the transformers they are buying are high efficiency types and they use high quality silicon steel.
not the cheap stuff they make E cores out of.

but that does not explain the 4$/lb copper price.

Neither does it explain why, if copper is 7$/kilogram, does copper wire cost $9 per pound!

It does not explain why copper sheet metal is $14 per pound.

Why is 6061-T6 $4/lb? when aluminum is 1$/lb on the futures markets?

steel is well over 1$/lb these days in parts of the country, and if you can find it for less than 50 cents per pound at a scrap yard you're doing good!
Old 19th May 2012, 08:31 AM   #36
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johansen View Post
last i heard the transformer prices were through the roof because china was expanding so rapidly.

but the transformers they are buying are high efficiency types and they use high quality silicon steel.

Neither does it explain why, if copper is 7$/kilogram, does copper wire cost $9 per pound!

steel is well over 1$/lb these days in parts of the country, and if you can find it for less than 50 cents per pound at a scrap yard you're doing good!
Maybe they want to get paid for manufacturing the wire, put it on rolls, packaging, distributing etc. ?
I know, i never worked for free, most people don't, unless it's for charity.

Why not buy a lump of alu, and hammer the plates yourself, even better, stretch your own wire from a big lump of copper, then give it some laquer.

Best regards
Ebbe
Old 19th May 2012, 10:23 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johansen View Post

I don't know where you get your prices.

In small quantities I pay $.529 a pound for steel. $2.95 a pound for aluminum sheet and $36 a pound for high quality 36 gauge copper wire.

My scrap steel brings in $.12 a pound and aluminum around $.90.

But I really do like selling scrap copper wire at $1.10 a pound!

The price of metals is up, but it was so low for so long... The quality is also up!
Old 20th May 2012, 02:42 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I've used copper prices as an economic indicator too.
It's called the commodity with a PhD in economics.
Old 20th May 2012, 05:12 AM   #39
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
No. Gold is going up in price because of marketing. Gold use is down in dentistry, due to plastics, down in electronics due to changes in design and selective plating techniques and most importantly negative use in jewelery as more people are selling than buying. Gold production is up due to the investment demand. As with any financial bubble it will collapse.
Gold is up because people with money are afraid to invest. Typically Govt bonds have been solid and dependable investments, banks are also pretty safe. At present, investors are suspicious of govts ability to repay, and also banks exposures. The outcome is that gold is a safe haven. Some would argue that gold has not risen in price, but the amount of cash being printed in the last four years has just devalued its worth.

Copper has gone up because its price fixed apparently, Ive rad several articles from different sources.

BBC NEWS | Business | Price-fixing raids on mining giants

Hide this!Advertise here!