What the hell happened to transformer prices - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2012, 10:36 PM   #21
ZLyzen is offline ZLyzen  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha70 View Post
Hi, check this site:
Chassis mounting toroidal transformers
of course add vat and postage.
Regards.
This site looks great and reasonably priced.. but doesn't seem accommodating to US voltages... :/

The only decent site I've been able to find is Antek - AN-4225
but even these are a little pricey... any other good sites?
Old 19th April 2012, 10:43 PM   #22
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Gold Prices may or may not be in a bubble,( there is some bubble ) the higher prices we are paying for everything is not just due to demand , its due to the loss of value in the dollar.

as long as Oil is tied to the dollar, we will see a continuous rise in prices world wide on everything ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
No. Gold is going up in price because of marketing. Gold use is down in dentistry, due to plastics, down in electronics due to changes in design and selective plating techniques and most importantly negative use in jewelery as more people are selling than buying. Gold production is up due to the investment demand. As with any financial bubble it will collapse.

Steel prices jumped up when China bought all of the scrap the same weekend. It hasn't dropped since then. Copper went up because of the increase in power distribution in China.

Fuel went up because of increased demand and greater risk of production.
Old 19th April 2012, 10:46 PM   #23
limono is online now limono  United States
diyAudio Member

You have only two choices . Cry & buy for current price (it's only a $10 difference after all)
Wait untill something suitable pops out on used market. It almost always does sooner or later..
Old 19th April 2012, 10:53 PM   #24
limono is online now limono  United States
diyAudio Member

as long as Oil is tied to the dollar, we will see a continuous rise in prices world wide on everything ..[/QUOTE]

True ! but I don't even want to imagine what will happen here when oil stops being tied to dollar which will stop forcing the whole world to acquire it and will stop america's credit line. It is simply "unimaginable"
Old 20th April 2012, 06:32 AM   #25
nazaroo is offline nazaroo  Canada
Sin Bin

I picked up a bunch of toroidal Power transformers cheap surplus a few years ago, and turned them around and experimentally found they would work for audio output xformers as long as they weren't overloaded. Some worked (had a high enough impedance), others didn't. But those that did I just put aside. In some ways they had better frequency response than actual output transfomers of equivalent power, but in others (e.g. the lower impedances and inconsistency between instances of the same xformer) they were worse.

Also, I got into noticing that toroids worked great but fell into 'catastrophic' collapses at higher wattages, rather suddenly, while regular xformers deteriorated the signal more gradually.
Old 20th April 2012, 11:00 AM   #26
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha70 View Post
Hi, check this site:
Chassis mounting toroidal transformers
of course add vat and postage.
Regards.
Thanks! That's just the thing.... I've used Airlink in the past when a designer for my then employers but I didn't know they will sell one off quantities
Old 20th April 2012, 11:09 AM   #27
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hmmm.... It would seem that by the time P+P and VAT have been added on it's only a couple of cheaper then other sources
It's still a useful resource though.
Old 20th April 2012, 02:16 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez View Post
Hmmm.... It would seem that by the time P+P and VAT have been added on it's only a couple of cheaper then other sources
It's still a useful resource though.
As one of those countries that doesn't usually have a VAT, I sort of like it. When the VAT is low you know there is a lot of mark-up. When it is high that means to me you are dealing with the folks really doing the work, fewer middle-men!

As to the two sites posted both seem to have reasonable prices knowing the rise in cost of materials. I also expect both manufacturers to have high quality standards.

I do have several transformers around that are not well made. Some are inefficient and heat up too much, others really don't quite meet spec.s and the worst suffer insulation failures. In the safe failure mode that means they blow a fuse and never work again. In the nasty failure mode they either pass the line voltage to the output or catch fire!

But the bottom line is that copper prices may drop a bit, but the pass through prices will be slower to fall. So buying now is reasonable. If prices really fall, then it is also likely that means you won't have any money either!
Old 17th May 2012, 06:26 PM   #29
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

lucky to 'save' this neat trafo, from an old B&O thing
and a nice heat sink

well, I suppose its a double C-core trafo
one lower voltage, max voltage is rather nice, with 2x 25V
but I don't expect more than 150VA max
might do for tweeter amp, or preamp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6761.JPG (153.1 KB, 176 views)
Old 17th May 2012, 06:48 PM   #30
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
lucky to 'save' this neat trafo, from an old B&O thing
and a nice heat sink

well, I suppose its a double C-core trafo
one lower volatge, max voltage is rather nice, with 2x 25V
but I don't expect more than 150VA max
I see two bobbins which points in the direction of a single c-core (one bobbin on each leg).
It also might be a UI core (same geometry as c-core but made of stamped laminations instead of the "wound" c-core).

Hide this!Advertise here!