Need help to fit caps on PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to fit these BC Components caps onto BrianGT's PSU board but the 'pinout' on the caps are... well, weird. Not a single pin fit a single hole on the PCB. Any suggestions?

Oh, and is only pin 5 negative and the rest positive?

Attachments

• BC1.jpg
    BC1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 92
  • BC2.jpg
    BC2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 94
  • BC3.jpg
    BC3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 91
If you don't want to re-drill the PCB, then you will have to fit the caps remotely.

Easiest way is to mount the caps on a standalone platform above the PCB and just connect +VE and -VE to the PCB using heavy gauge wire.

Even tidier to mount the caps with the pind pointing down and just make short legs to meet the holes.

Attachments

• Cap Idea.jpg
    Cap Idea.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Check with a DMM to see if any of the other pins are connected to Pins 1 or 5.

Okay, I checked using the continuity function and between pin 1 and pin 5 there's something going on, but absolutely nothing between any other pin. That should mean pin 2-4 are for support only, right?

But what about the PCB, should I drill holes for the supporting pins (and the live ones for that matter) or should I cut them off?

If the pins 1 and 5 fit the holes on the board then you can just cut off the others.

I would make a little rubber (or similar) cushion to both make sure that nothing remaining of the pins touches the board and gives the cap a solid base to sit on so that it cant move.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.