Change 230 V to 115 V power transformer

I have a Bose AM-8P Acoustimass speaker system that I bought in Europe. It continues to operate fine in the US if connected to a large external step-up transformer. I want to use it without the external transformer (which creates a hum and wastes energy). Can't I just replace the internal 230 volt power transformer (Billion #192252) with a 115 volt power transformer (Billion #182577)? If the answer is yes, then how could I locate such a transformer? No luck so far finding one on-line. Or is there someway to re-wire the 230 volt transformer (which has 5 primary wires leading into it and 5 secondary wires leading out of it -- I can send a photo once the server cooperates)?

I asked Bose customer support and they wrote back that "It is not possible to internally transform this unit to 120V by installing a 120V power supply. Bose does not offer power supply conversions on this product, and the internal parts of the product are not available to be purchased by end consumers for self-installation."

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

It should be trivial. Though your primary should have 4 wires not 5.
4 wire primaries are two 115V primaries you wire in series for 230V
and in parallel (maintaining correct phasing) for 115V.
That simple, you convert the series connection to parallel.

The 5th wire may be just a ground wire for the core, totally isolated
from the primaries. Secondaries may be different, a centre point
as earth / ov, and than two different taps, above and below, one
pair for high power and the other pair for preamp circuitry.

rgds, sreten.

Thanks Sreten,

I will give it a try and let you know how it works out.

By the way, I located the relevant section of the Bose circuit diagram. I hope that the attached photo is legible.

According to the diagram, to convert a 230 Volt Model to a 120 Volt Model:
a) Close Y602 to connect White (the curious 5th wire you were wondering about) to Brown;
b) Open Y603 to disconnect Orange from Brown; and
c) Close Y601 to connect Brown to Neutral.

This, as you say, will change the two primary coils of the transformer from being in series to being in parallel.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Regards, Bob

Attachments

• BOSE power XFMR circuit.jpg
    BOSE power XFMR circuit.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 531
It works!!!

The system is playing beautifully as I type.

This was my first experience re-soldering a circuit board. All it took was to remove one half cm wire and insert two others.

I have written back to Bose technical support asking them to comment on whether the modification should work (without telling them that I have already carried it out).

Thanks

It works!!!

The system is playing beautifully as I type.

This was my first experience re-soldering a circuit board. All it took was to remove one half cm wire and insert two others.

I have written back to Bose technical support asking them to comment on whether the modification should work (without telling them that I have already carried it out).

Thanks

They know it works but insurance / liability issues prevent them from telling you it's OK. I predict they'll give you the 'no user serviceable parts inside' and 'you'll void the warranty' lines. Enjoy

I asked Bose customer support and they wrote back that "It is not possible to internally transform this unit to 120V by installing a 120V power supply. Bose does not offer power supply conversions on this product, and the internal parts of the product are not available to be purchased by end consumers for self-installation."
does this confirm that Bose Customer Support will write any lies to persuade the Customer to buy another model of their equipment?

No, it confirms that they are like any other business. It costs them to tell you how to change the wiring, it voids your warranty, and it leaves them exposed to litigation should you electrocute yourself. It's not worth it to them. The strictly correct way to do this is to take it to a service agent and have them change the settings. They have access to the service manuals, they have the skills, qualifications and certification / registration, and they have their own liability insurance. Of course, this is diyAudio...

After a couple of emails to Bose, one of their Technical Support staff wrote back to suggest that I call their technical support phone line.

The person I spoke to on the phone offered to sell me a new and updated unit at a 50% discount. When I explained that the Bose circuit diagram showed that the modification was quite simple, he said that Bose could work on it for $259 if I shipped the unit to them. He was not willing to comment further on what was required because, he noted, Bose no longer maintains the relevant circuit diagrams. In fact, he added, Bose has stopped selling Service Manuals because Bose now requires that all servicing be done at Bose HQ.

This is problematic for someone like myself who bought the original unit to take with me to Africa. I ordered the service manual because the system malfunctioned while in Africa and I couldn't even figure out how to open it up. When the service manual arrived and I succeeded in opening it up I discovered that a simple fuse replacement was all that was required.

Ten years later the system is still functioning beautifully -- even after my novice voltage modification. I have to give Bose credit for that. But I will let each reader draw his/her own conclusions about Bose's approach to servicing.

It sounds more like a 'convenient' liability issue. If I were to build a power amp kit without the transformer or case HW as intended for a DIY project, liability of mis-use would not lie on me. However if I built a complete unit and sold it as such, I could possibly be liable for any damage that arises due to a malfunction or interference.
That's one reason why DIY is popular.:D

acoustimass power supply transformer

Bompata, did you ever convert your sub-woofer? I am trying to do the same thing as you, but the other direction. I have the 110 volt unit and want to change it to 220 volts. I believe I have the unit you want, and you have the unit I need. Contact me at my email, rolfde@gmail.com and we can exchange the photos and other specs.

Hi all, due to relocation to a country with 230V, I would like to change my acoustimass 20 from 120V to 230V.

After reading this thread and looking at the board, this seems to be very doable. However, my board shows that R409 should be replaced by D415 when going to a 230V version. I can't find a service manual so I am hoping someone can tell me why I would do that and which diode I would use for this.

Maybe one slight remark. It seems like y1, (y601) is used to connect orange to neuter instead of brown.
Greetings,

Attachments

• 20170817_113425-min.jpg
    20170817_113425-min.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 149
Is this an SMPS ? or the supply to a mains transformer?

If to a transformer with dual primaries
FIRST:
use a Mains Bulb Tester to power ON always, until you are sure you have wired it up correctly.
SECOND:
have a good look at what you have done before powering ON.

If to an SMPS, ask someone else.

Last edited:
Can one of you bright boffins help me? I have completely the opposite problem. I’ve moved from the US to Australia. I’d like convert my Bose Acoustimass 6 series iii subwoofer from 120vac to 220-240vac. I’ve tried to locate the 220-240vac transformer to carry out a straight swap out, but have been unsuccessful. Any help gratefully received?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you can not physically locate a mains transformer in the unit (it will be big and heavy) then this model may use what is called an SMPS or switching type supply. These are small and electronic in nature, not a single big transformer.

An SMPS would look more like this.

These often but not always are designed to work over the global range of mains voltages in use. If it has one of these then you must check first that it is suitable.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-16 115346.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-16 115346.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot 2021-08-16 115300.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-16 115300.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 65
Can one of you bright boffins help me? I have completely the opposite problem. I’ve moved from the US to Australia. I’d like convert my Bose Acoustimass 6 series iii subwoofer from 120vac to 220-240vac. I’ve tried to locate the 220-240vac transformer to carry out a straight swap out, but have been unsuccessful. Any help gratefully received?

The option with the least headaches is to buy a stepdown transformer from Tortech. Ebay things are generally switchmode and unreliable, not to mention more expensive for the same power handling.

Just get one that has enough sockets for all your hifi gadgets and total power handling exceeds the sum of the units by about 25% and you'll be fine.