Adjustable Voltage Regulator Tripping GFI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
See attached circuit. If I apply house voltage (120VAC), with hot on AC2 and neutral on DC1 (GND), will that be a problem?

Attachments

• sp-4.jpg
    sp-4.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 132
The proper wiring is to use AC input 1 and 2 as your hot and neutral, but be aware you cannot earth ground anywhere as shown in the circuit. In other words, you can have a circuit common, but it cannot be bonded to chassis or earth.

DC output will be referenced to nearly neutral voltage (or hot if you wire it backwards). Not a very safe application depending on what you want your DC to be used for. Best best is to use an isolation transformer before feeding this regulator.

Attached is what I'm up to with this thing, a Rube-Goldberged capacitor reformer. The regulator is the SP-4 module from audiowind on ebay, the datasheet is available on a Google search. I have it being fed from a B&K TR-110, an isolation transformer with a switchable, variable AC output. I have it set at 90VAC. I'm getting 133VDC across the R1 resistor ahead of the ic. It's dissipating 800mW, a bit warm to the touch. I've been raising the output voltage as the output current drops from 500mA, the unit is limited to 700mA output. The Fluke is reading the current (280mA). I have another meter monitoring the voltage (12.2V) at the capacitors. There is a 22K current limiting resistor on the pcb of the capacitor bank. All appears well at this point, slow going though, it has been an hour and voltage is only 12.2V. I'm hopefully going to make it to 63V without incident. At this charging rate, I'm guessing if the capacitor's stated voltage is not true, it will split rather than explode.

Attachments

• ReformSm.jpg
    ReformSm.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 117
I've found this unit to not be so good at lower output voltages.

So, the TL783, will it not output beyond 700mA? I have adjusted up to 500mA output and have not experimented with trying to go beyond that, will it go to 1A output or is the chip limited to 700mA no matter what adjustment on VR1?

I've found this unit to not be so good at lower output voltages.

So, the TL783, will it not output beyond 700mA? I have adjusted up to 500mA output and have not experimented with trying to go beyond that, will it go to 1A output or is the chip limited to 700mA no matter what adjustment on VR1?

You are going to die sooner than you're planning. READ SOME BOOKS ON WHAT YOU"RE PLAYING WITH and how you SHOULD be interfacing to the house current!!!! The GFI trip is what is why you're still writing things. Put that junk away while you can.

DreadPirate is you keep working with that project you will be call the dead pirate. Belief me. Your are doing something very unsafe. You can be electrocuted using the power directly from the AC. You must use an isolation transformer. Stop while you still alive............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.