24V DC computer fan speed control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gooday all,
Can somebody plse help me with a diagram for a 24V dc motor speed control. I currently use a 24v transformer with 2 x 12 V DC computer fans connected in series. If it would be better then I will use a 12 V transformer with the motors in parrallel. A simple control using one transistor with a pot just to adjust the speed slower to reduce noise. Used for cooling AVR.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Jan

Don't do that! (connecting 2 12V computer fans in series) You'll expose the components to 24V when one of the fan is "on" and the other is "off" (in order to reverse the direction of the current flowing through the windings).

12V power source, connect motors in parallel. You'll need a regulator too because the voltage of the power supply, after rectification and smoothing by capacitors, will be roughly ~16V, which you need to reduce to 12V.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You'll need to know how much current your fan is drawing too, and get the correct package of LM317 and the appropriate heatsink.

Last edited:
Soory why as you have 2 fans any way complicate the design whit voltagge change
why not keep in series?

I have made simple themperature controlled fan cooler I use for matching mosfets and hope it helps.

with 2 fans in series you wont need the LM317 part

Attachments

• Fan speed controller2.PDF
    39.8 KB · Views: 190
Thanks for the reply WWENZE,
The motors are 12v / 0,28A brushless type, so I don't need a lot of current and only turns one way, so there is no direction change. I suppose your diagram will be sufficient ?

Thanks in advance.
Jan

Yupz, adjustable output voltage from 1.25V to almost 12V.

The LM317 is needed anyway because a 24V transformer gives ~32.5V peak after diode bridge drop.

When I said reverse the direction of current, it's about a DC brushless fan that spins in one direction. That's how they work - the magnets spin to align themselves to the magnetic field produced by the windings, then the current and hence field is reversed to force the magnets to continue moving. There will be a short duration where the output is "off" as the current's direction is switched.

Last edited:
30 ohm total would be better, at 0.56A that would bring the power from LM317 to about 2W. The resistors themselves will be dissipating 10W.

Hmm this doesn't look good. How about a better idea, buy this thing, tap the DC from your AVR, and call it a day.

2.jpg

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.