Super Regulator, collecting the facts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gootee said:
If anyone already has any scope photos (or just data) of transient testing with a dynamic load, such as when drawing fast-edged current steps that rise from near minimum to near maximum and fall from near maximum to near minimum, or whatever else you might have, perhaps something that might be a more-appropriate transient test, I would be interested in seeing them.

The Super Reg is most often used with preamps -- and the load is pretty much constant -- noise is a more important consideration.

If you must do transient testing you can take a look at this application note by Jim Williams of Linear Tech:
http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1142,C1041,P1754,D17358

peranders said:
A tube based sort of super regulator, an article by Mr. Bob Pease.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=1509

I think it look like an super regulator if the basic concept is considered as an voltage reference powered from the output and an error amp also powered from the output.
I'm bumping this issue a bit. Any tube dudes out there that have an opinion?

I have made a new super regulator board with a 4-layer pcb. I haven't had the opportunity to test it particularly much but so far it looks good in more than one sense. :nod:
ssr01r0_overview.jpg

Now the regulator can cope with 50 V in and 36 V out without too much trouble. It's also easier to trim the output voltage. The copper thickness is 140 um for the power traces since they go on both sides which have 70 um copper.

Here's a "dually: -- I had some made a while back -- without the LM317/337 pre-regulators. I'm not keen on SMT electrolytics for DIY so will use the same devices from the Audio Amateur article, I have bucket loads of TO-92 LM329DZ as well, but the LED's, Diodes, transistors are all SMT.

Attachments

• Super_Reg_SMT_2009.gif
    Super_Reg_SMT_2009.gif
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,028

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Here it is installed in a CROWN IC-150A preamplifier -- it's mounted on the rear panel on nylon standoffs -- I have LT1028's in there I think:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Crown power supply runs to +/- 30VDC which had to be reduced with some resistors - elsewise I would be blowing up caps again -- the preamp itself doesn't draw a lot of current, but the regulator is a tad thirsty for milliamps.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
20 awg solid wire of 4'' would be about 118nH. You'd get quite an increase in output impedance with that without remote sensing.

I'm looking forward to your measurements. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Oh, btw, what analyzer will you use? This is something that I wish I had, for sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.