Super Regulator, collecting the facts - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2003, 07:44 AM   #81
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Fred, I have now educated myself, since I don't know so much... I have only the Sulzer article left which I'm getting from someone here.

The 100 uF in the feedback, is this only to decrease the noise about 6 dB (at the expense of stability) or is it something else?
Old 15th October 2003, 08:10 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer
Per-Anders,

not that I really know, but isn't the cap there to improve load
regulation by giving 100% feedback for AC?

Indeed. And since it increases feedback (AC) to 100%, it has an impact on the transfer characteristic. It generally, in this kind of circuits, but not always, decreases stability.

Jan Didden
Old 15th October 2003, 08:40 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
Indeed. And since it increases feedback (AC) to 100%, it has an impact on the transfer characteristic. It generally, in this kind of circuits, but not always, decreases stability.
Was the only reason to have this 100uF to decraese the output impedance by 2 and a speed increase of factor 2?
Old 16th October 2003, 07:19 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
Per, basically you are right, but I find more content in those posts then in your last one...
Yeah, I noticed it but I couldn't help it.

BTW: I have read the Sulzer article from 1980, (thanks Elso, I made a pdf of it) and I get a bit nostalgic. 23 years ago is a long time.... He talks about 741, anyone who remembers this opamp?

Walter Jung points out that he wasn't the "inventor" of the regulator neither Mr Sulzer. Does anybode know when the "Sulzer regulator" was seen first? Was it in the tube era?
Old 16th October 2003, 12:31 PM   #85
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Those other mods obvously haven't been cracking the whip enough whilst I was gone...
I would, but I've been playing Roy Horn elsewhere. And all the regulators discussed here are silly-low in voltage. He-men like me, the kind that have Britneys and Swedish Bikini babes hanging on their arms getting in the way of my soldering, use 500V regs at a minimum. The design requirements are a bit different at those levels.

As for the "inventor" of opamp voltage regulators, I can't say, but they certainly exisited in chip form for a long time before the Sulzer articles. My 1978 NS databooks show quite a few, and no doubt the concept dates back to the tube-only era.
Old 16th October 2003, 01:46 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Hello!

Usually I read only the topics because my written english is poor, but I would like to introduce my homepage http://diyaudiolink.hungarian.at. I collect on this site many diyaudiolinks and I would like if you send me other diyaudiolinks to this emailadress: diyaudiolink@mailbox.hu

Thank you and best regards: George
Old 16th October 2003, 03:20 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
[snip]As for the "inventor" of opamp voltage regulators, I can't say, but they certainly exisited in chip form for a long time before the Sulzer articles. My 1978 NS databooks show quite a few, and no doubt the concept dates back to the tube-only era.
Certainly pre-war (2nd world war, that is). Probably just after the invention of neg feedback by Harry Black in the late 30-ies.

Jan Didden
Old 16th October 2003, 04:43 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

I'll guess that the most important facts are lifted up and the conclusion is that the "Jung Super Regulator" as it has been called is a good solution of a low noise regulator.

I'll appreciate the efforts from Jan Didden, Elso, Brian, Nicke from Sweden and the rest of you which have contributed in getting me the articles of Jung and Sulzer and other valuable info.
Old 16th October 2003, 09:36 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

I personally don't use the Jung 'super-regulator' in any of my products, but I respect everything that Walt does in this area. Look for more, in future. However, it is very important to make the best AC-DC filtering system possible, in order that the regulator is taken out of the sonic imprint. Trust me, it is NOT easy, except with batteries.
Old 16th October 2003, 09:52 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

If it was up to me to 'improve' this regulator, I would try to use a video IC for the gain. This would give, all else being equal, faster response, more linear feedback control, and about the same noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!