Super Regulator, collecting the facts - Page 78 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2013, 12:30 AM   #771
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Well, if it helps to get a vote - here it is!
make it two !
Old 11th June 2013, 02:21 AM   #772
diyAudio Member

I would be very interested in a board as well.
Old 11th June 2013, 02:29 AM   #773
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

For your interest :
New Linear Audio publication!

Patrick
Old 7th August 2013, 01:38 PM   #774
diyAudio Member

HEre is my attempt at a dual rail version using SMD. Jackinnj has made some suggestions in another thread I will attempt to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
moderator should probably move your post to the "Super Regulator collecting the facts" thread -- an observation -- the sense resistors shouldn't be at right angles, the error amplifier should be rotated 90 degrees so that pins 2 and 3 have the shortest possible route to the sense resistors. using capacitors larger than those specified by Walt will affect the performance of the regulator. those originally specified in the 1995 article are no longer available so use panasonic fc.
I chose LT1792 based on a recommendation by EUVL and because it will allow for the possibility of larger output voltages, if needed. The caps are Panasonic FM, spec'ing slightly better than recommended replacements of FC. Of course FC can be used as I believe they are equivalent in size. I may have oversized the caps just for freedom in choice. The board is 2.5" x 3". I will work on the revision and appreciate any comments. This will be used for a DCB1 to start and then for a phono pre. It will be compared to the Salas Shunt in both cases. The phono pre is the aplication that will need larger output voltages.
Attached Images
File Type: png Dual Rail.png (157.5 KB, 637 views)

Last edited by buzzforb; 7th August 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 7th August 2013, 09:22 PM   #775
diyAudio Member

Here is redo of positive reg beside old version. Smaller.
Attached Images
File Type: png Pos rail redraw.png (71.4 KB, 596 views)
Old 28th August 2013, 05:18 AM   #776
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I'm checking interest for a group buy for my dual voltage super regulator power supply. See my sig below for links.
Old 19th December 2013, 01:41 AM   #777
diyAudio Member

Hello

I am designing an active filter for my speakers. I have access to a circuit board milling machine that can do 2 sides. I plan to make one 100x160 mm board. I will supply it with unregulated, single 24V DC.

I plan to have space, on the corner of the board, for one super regulator. My question is, which instructions should I follow in laying it out? The latest design by Walt Jung? Some update to it? Of all the articles I have skimmed through, is the one from year 2000 the latest?

I am purely an engineer. I don't believe in "tuning" it for "sound" or changing things and listening for effects. But were there any unsolved concerns with stability or startup that I should know? Which parts list should I follow? I plan to use regular parts, i.e. not to surface mount anything.

Also. I will maybe regulate the 24V down to 18V and create an artificial earth at 9V. Should I use the 24V supply as a floating +/-12V instead and have two regulated rails? Or will I be fine with creating an artificial earth after the regulator?
Old 19th December 2013, 09:21 AM   #778
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I don't know how well your two sides will register once you flip over the PCB.

How about drilling two registration holes in diagonally opposite corners to help with accurate setting up of the second side?
Old 19th December 2013, 10:54 AM   #779
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkcat View Post
Hello

I am designing an active filter for my speakers. I have access to a circuit board milling machine that can do 2 sides. I plan to make one 100x160 mm board. I will supply it with unregulated, single 24V DC.

I plan to have space, on the corner of the board, for one super regulator. My question is, which instructions should I follow in laying it out? The latest design by Walt Jung? Some update to it? Of all the articles I have skimmed through, is the one from year 2000 the latest?

I am purely an engineer. I don't believe in "tuning" it for "sound" or changing things and listening for effects. But were there any unsolved concerns with stability or startup that I should know? Which parts list should I follow? I plan to use regular parts, i.e. not to surface mount anything.

Also. I will maybe regulate the 24V down to 18V and create an artificial earth at 9V. Should I use the 24V supply as a floating +/-12V instead and have two regulated rails? Or will I be fine with creating an artificial earth after the regulator?
The Jung/Didden reg PCB is now available through the diyaudio store. I updated the 1995 design to Walts' 2000 design.
See Super Regulator for example.

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 19th December 2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 22nd December 2013, 02:56 PM   #780
diyAudio Member

Default Another layout

I have been using an earlier variant of the "Jung super reg" for years with satisfaction. I decide to make a small batch of PCB of the revised version. I choose LT1363 as the comparator because I subjectively like its sound.

See if you have any comments on this layout. I am a newbie in PCB layout. There maybe many mistakes.
Attached Images
File Type: png Super_Reg_dual.png (77.6 KB, 239 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!