Super Regulator, collecting the facts - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2003, 08:42 PM   #41
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann
Another real factor is that offering a kit with complicated stuffing options is a disaster waiting to happen with people unfamiliar the design, even with excellent documentation. A board with a silkscreen useful for both? I can't even imagine, and I have designed PCBs with stuffing options much simpler that have still confused people despite my best efforts.
Fred, DIY'ers aren't illiterates and/or fools. Most of them can read and also understand what problem or task is.

There is normally no problems at all with alternative parts, or placements.I see no trouble at all with a universal pcb both for positive and negative supply. Since the opamp has flipped pins you can simple have "two" opamps on the pcb if you don't want to use jumper wires.
Old 5th October 2003, 08:51 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Rip Off

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

Do it anyway, Elso! This is DIY, right? We do it for free anyway. And seeing your name is print is a real kicker! So, the money is like a nice touch. I would have done it for free.
Me too also, if I could use my stuff freely which is impossible if you work for Elektor. If I have understood the Elektor contract right, it's not a very good deal except that your name might be known.
Old 6th October 2003, 04:47 AM   #43
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We're talking about signals and trace resistences SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW the microvolt, milliamp, and milliohm level.
If you are interested I am going to tell you what I do, in private, suffice it to say I am working at 750MHz, pulsing 100's of watts and getting back microvolts, I am sure you would find it fascinating.
At that frequency a 1mm X 1mm Cu strip inductance and resistance makes a 5 MHz difference in tuning and 20 ohm difference in matching, but that doesn't matter.
In the case of the superreg I don't think things are _that_ critical.
That's all I am saying. From reading ALW manual it actually seems that Q damping is required in some instance.
Old 6th October 2003, 07:37 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

When I think about it, is it really smart to have the AC gain set to one? I mean a little bit lower noise which is extremely low already and then risk problems with unstability?
Old 6th October 2003, 07:46 AM   #45
diyAudio Retiree

"If you are interested I am going to tell you what I do"

In absolute seriousness, compared to that I am sure almost every circuit looks simple......

I can only point out that 1 ma through 1 milliohm is one microvolt. A preamp circuit driving 1V into 10K ohms results in a current of 100 microamps, and this at the higher signal levels seen by a preamp. The music signal has dynamic range exceeding 80 dB. The bottom line is that a power supply, such as the Jung type design, involves consideration of error signals in the nanovolt (10 to the-9th) region. This would seem to me to be some very rigorous engineering when pushing the state of the art for an audio power supply design like this. Plenty challenging for me and most of the others of the forum, even the serious analog engineers I'd imagine. The evolution this circuit from the original Sulzer circuit has been documented for over 20 years in The Audio Amateur and Audio Electronics. Enhancements for the circuit are still being pursued at present. I can think of at least half a dozen changes worth investigating and I am sure there are many others that I haven't thought of, but others have. I am still curious how much further this design can go in terms of improvement.
Old 6th October 2003, 07:53 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Fred, have you thought about writing texts for ads?
Old 6th October 2003, 08:01 AM   #47
diyAudio Retiree

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
When I think about it, is it really smart to have the AC gain set to one? I mean a little bit lower noise which is extremely low already and then risk problems with unstability?
Stability still has to be considered at AC gains above one. Half the AC closed loop gain; halves the noise and output impedance. A third year Electical Engineering student or a long time reader of The Audio Amateur should know this I think.
Old 6th October 2003, 08:07 AM   #48
diyAudio Retiree

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
Fred, have you thought about writing texts for ads?
I have done it for my audio products in the past.
Old 6th October 2003, 08:12 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Stability still has to be considered at AC gains above one. Half the AC closed loop gain; halves the noise and output impedance. A third year Electical Engineering student or a long time reader of The Audio Amateur should know this I think.
We are nice today.

I mean , AD797, gain of one, not short wires.
Old 6th October 2003, 08:15 AM   #50
diyAudio Retiree

Default go for it

"There is normally no problems at all with alternative parts, or placements.I see no trouble at all with a universal pcb both for positive and negative supply. Since the opamp has flipped pins you can simple have "two" opamps on the pcb if you don't want to use jumper wires."

Great idea! I am sure we will see this on your knock off version on the circuit. Charge enough for the PCBs to compensate yourself for the time you will spend on people who blow it up building it wrong. I think you can count on it quite often.

"I mean , AD797, gain of one, not short wires."

So do I .......

Hide this!Advertise here!