Question about trafo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have trafo that was pulled from a working environment. Unfortunately, I have forgot to mark which wire is in and which wire is out. Is there any danger in trying to connect one side and measure the output on the other side? I know the specs on the trafo so this way I could determine which side is which.

Here is a picture of this trafo: picture

Weird thing is that thicker wire is soldered to a thinner wound wire and on the other side is the other way around (thinner wire soldered to thicker wound wire).

Thanks.

Measure the resistance of the two windings. The primary will be the Higher resistance (approx 400 Ohms or so). The secondary will be much lower resistance.
But it can be and vice versa (secondary will be the Higher resistance and primary will be lower resistance)!!! And this case is possible and is found in practice.

To achieve a fair test would be to have an auto-transformer or adjustable power transformer. Then check the thickness of the transformer windings and charged with auto-transformer on all those windings so current density of no more than 3A/mm2. Measure the voltage applied to the winding when current density reached those 3A/mmp. Perform this test for each winding and note voltages. These are voltage transformer windings.

But it can be and vice versa (secondary will be the Higher resistance and primary will be lower resistance)!!! And this case is possible and is found in practice.

To achieve a fair test would be to have an auto-transformer or adjustable power transformer. Then check the thickness of the transformer windings and charged with auto-transformer on all those windings so current density of no more than 3A/mm2. Measure the voltage applied to the winding when current density reached those 3A/mmp. Perform this test for each winding and note voltages. These are voltage transformer windings.

Unlikely, this is just a trafo from a Wallmart wall brick.

That's impossible.

A transformer by definition must have more than two wires.

Unless you are talking about pairs of terminals.

There must be two connections for the primary (110V) and at least one for the secondary (if it is indeed an auto-transformer) but more usually two, three or more for the secondary.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.