Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2012, 08:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Slightly off topic, but I need some help

I am curious if anyone can help me out with some info here. What I know is that this device is a motorcycles regulator/rectifier. The devices in the first pic are MosFets , in the second pic they are SCR's .

What I need to know is if the MosFet design is full or half-wave rectification, and if it is some sort of switching supply.

From all accounts on the web , the MosFet design typically runs just warm to the touch, not blistering hot like the older SCR designs. First pic with current/amp ratings is MosFet, second pic is SCR type.

Thanks..........................Blake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shindengen F012.jpg (205.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Sv1000 stock regulator.jpg (207.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's a full wave three phase rectifier, apparently with phase angle switching for voltage regulation. The switch elements, SCR or MOSFET, probably both operate at magneto frequency only and the body diode forward drop of the FET is probably about the same as the SCR, but the FETs probably have less switching and On period losses.

Last edited by Andrew Eckhardt; 3rd March 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Andrew,

They are both full wave rectification ?

The first pic (MosFet) has only three diodes, while the second pic (SCR) uses 6 diodes .

I forgot to mention the AC output is about 70 volts at 5000rpm, and the regulated DC is about 14.5 volts .

........................Blake
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

After re-reading your response, I am thinking the MosFet design is a switching supply of sorts ? Hence it's higher efficiency/cooler running ?

..................Blake
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

MOSFETs have a reverse diode across the Drain-Source. It's usually considered "parasitic" but in this circuit they're used. So it still has a 6-diode bridge. The control circuit is probably very much the same in terms of function (no higher frequency switching other than the varying frequency of the magneto), just slightly different output section to provide the signal the FET gates need instead of the SCR's. SCR's are heavy duty slowpokes compared to FETs, so they probably have less loss during switching. Also the on-resistance of the FETs is probably lower than the forward conduction of the SCRs, so, two points where power loss can be saved.

As the magneto speed increases the switches (whether FET or SCR) are driven on for more and more of each cycle, to maintain constant charging/system voltage.

Last edited by Andrew Eckhardt; 3rd March 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 4th March 2012, 04:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Again.

.......................Blake

Hide this!Advertise here!