Krell KSA 50 Clone PSU virtual ground help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am building a Krell KSA 50 clone amplifier, and I am looking for information on how to design or construct the 55V low current, virtual ground circuit to drive the firstwo stages of the amp. So far on trawling the internet for help, I have only come across low voltage models using op-amps. Any help would be welcome. Attached is the circuit diagram.

Attachments

• Krell-Clone_Schematic.pdf
    25.1 KB · Views: 212
Not sure why you call this a "virtual ground circuit". Presumably, you just need a regulator for +-55v @100-150mA, right?

Thank you for replying.

Well that's what I thought at first, and yes that would work the amp just fine, but wrom what I have deciphered, is the isolation of the small signal ground from the current dispersing mains ground which the speaker is connected. Surely it would keep the music signal clean, and once the speaker has dumped the current to common ground, the music signal is not effected.

Separating input and output grounds is a good idea but not in the way you are seeing it. Electrically they have to be at equal potential i.e. tied up together through a very small resistor. Even if you use a "virtual ground" for the input stage it needs to be connected to the speaker ground. Experimenting with this may result blown up speakers. Maybe you want a bridged or balanced amp.

OK, I reallise I see things in a somewhat different way, and not always the right way, this is why I ask for help, and value yours. I suppose a balanced amp would be preferable as I do understand I can always single end the inputs with a pin cold to ground link.

You make an interesting point with regards to the virtual ground needing to be connected to the speaker ground. This is a statement that makes me think "why have a virtual ground in a Krell amp"? or why does what I read make me think about things in a wrong way?

I want to understand why this and that particularly the reasons for the VGND.

I have recently recieved the circuits in the post, so the project is a new one.

I am not an electronics engineer, so please accept my appologies for my missunderstandings (plural)

regards, Ian

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Both the input and the speaker must share signal ground as the reference point - otherwise, feedback would work incorrectly and indeed, might apply the full rail voltage across your speaker. A 10 ohm or so resistor is often inserted between the small signal ground and the speaker ground to alleviate problems related to grounding, but it is not always needed nor does it solve all grounding issues. Since you are into Class A amplifiers, check http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/classa_amp.pdf - the article has an example grounding scheme (Fig.6 - Overall wiring diagram) that should clarify the issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.