Help with a Linn Brilliant PSU U25WSL

Hi everyone,

I year or so ago I bought a Linn Wankonda with a wonky PSU. Apparently the seller has experienced a power surge and blew up his PSU (this he did not tell me, but in researching the issue I discovered a thread on another board where he was seeking advice on repairing the unit).

Anyhow, it looks like he replaced 2 FETs but there are a number of burnt SMD resistors. I have looked high and low for a schematic for this PSU but cannot find one. Because the resistors are burned (and open) I cannot read their values. Anybody know where I might source a schematic? Any other adivice on how to go about figuring out the resistor values would also be greatly apreciated.

Dave

You could have a look at:
Linn Brilliant SMPS - naked! - pink fish media
where there is a lot about fixing the older Brilliant supply, and a mention of a schematic.

Bob
URL is dead. check out
Linn Brilliant SMPS - naked! - pink fish media
check out also this URLs:
Doz' Blog: Linn Karik / Brilliant Power supply repair.

Everyone should know that the electrolytic capacitors need to be replaced, as long as the initial caps are still in use.
However, not everyone knows that the RIFA X2 at the mains input also needs to be replace - I did not know that either - go to
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/par...x2-capacitors-deficiencies-3.html#post6626466
post #28 shows the consequence.
I think, most, maybe all exist devices of this SMPS version use this RIFA X2 version.
And because they usually bang hard when they say goodbye (associated with an extremely unpleasant odor and associated with a very high cleaning effort), I suspect that most of them were sent to electronic scrap together with the associated audio device (preamp or cd player or tuner).

Attachments

• 5931489022_bda2e4c1b3_b.jpg
    5931489022_bda2e4c1b3_b.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 372
Last edited: