Lithium battery charging mythology?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TheShaman;

The MCP part doesn't appear to have a have a thermistor input for a temperature compensated CC/CV charge rate. It is also a linear part. Power dissipation in the IC could be an issue when charging a deeply discharged device.

I would want at the very least some sort of cutoff if the temperature of the cells gets too hot. Ideally you also want to lower the charge rate when temps are below 20C, and lower them further if you are below 10C. But you could get around it with a lower charge rate for all temps

Thank you gentlemen for your information and for having taken the trouble to post it.

I have just recently delved into this world of UltraFire 18650 batteries with eBay purchases that included really cheap junk chargers and without any real background information, this thread is a very timely reminder to do my homework.

It's back to the old NiMh units until I get all this charging business sorted out - this is no place for ignorance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.