How to make a coupled inductor using Toroidal core?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will tell you why I sent it. There is a real lack of reliable information showing the true design process that a power supply engineer goes through to design a power supply. You don't just grab some wire and a transformer and go with it. So I thought I would pitch this out there and see if anyone would even take the time to wade through the math.

I have these for every topology I have ever done. If you do the math first, everything else is an exercise in execution.

Tony

Tony,

I agree with your intent and issue, but there is much better Unitrode stuff available for a beginner. (I think the link I provided will be helpful.) It drives me nuts when I see a post about a transformer or inductor and the guy asking the question doesn't have a clue about what material his core has or anything else.

Rick

Not going to disagree Rick. Though I may take exception to the much better part ;)

I will say this though... Sometimes it is helpful to see what another engineer was thinking when they did the design. It's kind of like have a textbook with the answer to the odd numbered questions. There are a lot of times when I would have killed to be able to ask someone why they chose a particular material for the inductor as an example. Or why the coupled inductor inductance rolled off with output power.

So I put it out there to see if anyone would even bother to read it. A few have but I suspect they are those that don't need the help. For those that do need the help then maybe it's still not helpful since they don't know enough to ask the right questions yet.

Tony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.