Leco smps some ugly tests...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Leco SMPS on 12 ohms loading , 140,5 volts DC output on idle, 139,5volts DC on 12 ohms load.

50 Ampres/100milivolts shunt seried , shows 22,6 mV on it ,so curent on load is 11,25 Amperes.

Power is 11,25A x 139,5V = 1509.5 watts

Leco SMPS 12 ohms loading.MOV - YouTube

Leco SMPS on 4 ohms loading , 140,5 volts DC output on idle, 126,4 volts DC on 4 ohms load.

50 Ampres/100milivolts shunt seried , shows 54,2 mV on it ,so curent on load is 26 Amperes.

Power is 26A x 126,4V = 3272 watts

Leco SMPS on 2,66 ohms loading , 127 volts DC output on idle, 115,5volts DC on 2,66 ohms load.

50 Ampres/100milivolts shunt seried , shows 76,4 mV on it ,so curent on load is 36 Amperes.

Power is 36A x 115,5V = 4135 watts

Leco SMPS a and 2,66 ohms loading.MOV - YouTube

Leco SMPS on 12 ohms loading , 140,5 volts DC output on idle, 139,5volts DC on 12 ohms load.

50 Ampres/100milivolts shunt seried , shows 22,6 mV on it ,so curent on load is 11,25 Amperes.

Power is 11,25A x 139,5V = 1509.5 watts

Leco SMPS 12 ohms loading.MOV - YouTube

Leco SMPS on 4 ohms loading , 140,5 volts DC output on idle, 126,4 volts DC on 4 ohms load.

50 Ampres/100milivolts shunt seried , shows 54,2 mV on it ,so curent on load is 26 Amperes.

Power is 26A x 126,4V = 3272 watts

Leco SMPS on 2,66 ohms loading , 127 volts DC output on idle, 115,5volts DC on 2,66 ohms load.

50 Ampres/100milivolts shunt seried , shows 76,4 mV on it ,so curent on load is 36 Amperes.

Power is 36A x 115,5V = 4135 watts

Leco SMPS a and 2,66 ohms loading.MOV - YouTube

Nice work !

It's the half bridge with Igbt isn't it ?
Make another test with a 3kw load and keep it for 30 minutes :) .
I suppose the transformer is wound with litz wire , 4 kw peak for audio is goood .

I like the smps , but i don't like the igbt , if you used them , because of their hi VCE , let's suppose 2V at 30 A , 60W that's only the conduction losses + some small switching losses .
If i were you , I would try some robust mosfet with 0.03 ohm Rds, that will give you 0.8V drop , a huge improvement , the only drawback is the huge gate charge (in the range of 30nF).

Keep the good work!

Man, it was just a simple test; final one, I think will be full bridge for 1/2 curent on primary, and less Ic on output switching devices.
In that test, I was limmited from small heatsink of rectifier diodes, and resonant capacitor curent cappability...

I have very low loss on switching devices, gratefully almost perfect drive of it, very low rise and fall times.

Look here:

Proper IGBT driving, on mine SMPS (100Khz half bridhe resonant soft switching mode)

Observe ULTRAFAST switching, very low rise and fall timmings.

View image: DSCN5197

Tomorrob (today better said) I will try full bridge tipology, at 62,5 , 100 , and 125 Khz.

Mine IGBT;s are WARP ones (150Khz hard switching, 300 Khz soft switching).

Not interested to use mosfets, due internal body diode, also I don;t want to complicate output topology with schottky and antiparralel diodes too.

All modern SMPS, uses IGBT, or combination of mixed IGBT with mosfet too, also not interested...

Simple one, is most time, the efficient one!

If I lose under 100 Watts per total SMPS at 4000W total load, randament is HUGE, also, musical power is not more than 1/2 from a pure sin wave, or dummy load as I tested.

Next time, I will use, maybe bigger power resistors for dummy load, for longer time testing, If I keept that test, mine 4 ohms resistor will melt itself...

Last edited:
Man, it was just a simple test; final one, I think will be full bridge for 1/2 curent on primary, and less Ic on output switching devices.
In that test, I was limmited from small heatsink of rectifier diodes, and resonant capacitor curent cappability...

I have very low loss on switching devices, gratefully almost perfect drive of it, very low rise and fall times.

Look here:

Proper IGBT driving, on mine SMPS (100Khz half bridhe resonant soft switching mode)

Observe ULTRAFAST switching, very low rise and fall timmings.

View image: DSCN5197

Tomorrob (today better said) I will try full bridge tipology, at 62,5 , 100 , and 125 Khz.

Mine IGBT;s are WARP ones (150Khz hard switching, 300 Khz soft switching).

Not interested to use mosfets, due internal body diode, also I don;t want to complicate output topology with schottky and antiparralel diodes too.

All modern SMPS, uses IGBT, or combination of mixed IGBT with mosfet too, also not interested...

Simple one, is most time, the efficient one!

If I lose under 100 Watts per total SMPS at 4000W total load, randament is HUGE, also, musical power is not more than 1/2 from a pure sin wave, or dummy load as I tested.

Next time, I will use, maybe bigger power resistors for dummy load, for longer time testing, If I keept that test, mine 4 ohms resistor will melt itself...

That signal is before the gate rezistor? it looks too dam fast . At my amps rise time is something in the range of 180ns if i remember correctly ,today i will test it ,and i'm using 9A gate drivers ,gate charge something like 18nF.....

Nice work !

It's the half bridge with Igbt isn't it ?
Make another test with a 3kw load and keep it for 30 minutes :) .
I suppose the transformer is wound with litz wire , 4 kw peak for audio is goood .

I like the smps , but i don't like the igbt , if you used them , because of their hi VCE , let's suppose 2V at 30 A , 60W that's only the conduction losses + some small switching losses .
If i were you , I would try some robust mosfet with 0.03 ohm Rds, that will give you 0.8V drop , a huge improvement , the only drawback is the huge gate charge (in the range of 30nF).

Keep the good work!

I am sure that Lecos wont spend time making that simple test for his robust SMPS.

Waiting to see yours holding 2.6KW for 13 minutes, not 30 :p

Kv3audio, I smell a little jealousy?

As you saw, that resistor is NOT capable for taking that amount of power, much than one minute without destroying.

When I have time, I will make another test on 4 Kw dummy load, so, after 15 minutes of load, what you will tell?

You stick the nail in the neck?

Main voltage is 220 volts.

Yes , I will use smps's for mine modules, also for selling.

What you see, is a small experiment, just for tests, final work will be very nice.

Being regulated, it will offer constant tension on output in range of 175-250Vac.

Momentanly, I don;t have with what to measure efficiency, I will try a derivation, using clampmeter, ampermeter, voltmeter and shunt.

Soon, test with fullbridge topology, with new windings on secondary and primary, made from litzwire 600 x 0.07 litz, or cooper foil of 37mm x 0,1mm.

Keep close.

Leco, ignore those that want it to be something its not

your smps is awsome, I hope to see pcb and some waveforms during video
Again, good job!

Sure I will!

Thanks for appreciation, my friend!

Now, last test before send it for PCB design, and full realisation:

I'm staying on Half Bridge, resonant mode topology.

On first movie, we have around 109-110Vdc on output on 3 dummy load 1 ohm/1000W resistors seried connected (3 ohm total).

For avoiding inadequate measurements caused by tolerance of thermal derive of resistors when heating, I used 100mV/50Amps shunt, so when we have 100mV dropping on shunt, curent is 50 Amps.

On first movie, in this case we have 65,17 mV on shunt, output is 109,8Vdc on dummy load.

If at 100mV on shunt, we have 50Amps, at 65,17mV we will have 50 x 65,17/100= 32,585Amps

In this case power was 109,8Vcc x 32,585A = 3577W

The test at 3500W

Smps 3500W.MOV - YouTube

Now let's make last test.

The test at 3500W

Values are 93,2 mV on shunt, so at 93,2mV we will have 46,6A and dc out dummy load is 103,2V, total power being 103,2Volts x 46,6Amps = 4809 watts.

Leco SMPS Max Load - YouTube

Last edited:
I put in unregulated mode, because I just want to see, maximum output power, without any limmitings.

Also protection was disabled.

I have LLC resonant mode SMPS, output with ground coupled, and just 3x470uF/450Vdc capacitors in parralel (equivalent of 2x1500uF seried capacitors), I don't use median coupling (200 Volts seried capacitors), because I don't ever need to use for 110Vac supply (voltage doubler), configuration.

I think 4800 Watts of pure power sustained is OK, from a ETD59 core...

I'm intended to use it for 3500 watts continuous (well cooled) with 4000Watts peak, before shut down (protect mode).

That smps will supply mine class AB modules amplifier 2 or 4 channels (bridgeable) , or one 3000watts TD class amps (wich I will develop, soon).

AB Class almost 1700Watts/2 ohm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrenN56u-GY

TD Class, almost 3000Watts /4 ohm, before smps shut down, protection set around 3500 watts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guoLw9e4Seg&feature=player_embedded

http://postimage.org/image/2zhjtkx0k/

Last edited:
I did some tests so try a guide to the approximate calculation of the efficiency of the SMPS, I have the three measurement devices on the same power supply (9V battery brand new) to see how each display, and whether there are differences between them:

multimeters at 9Vdc battery:

multimeters at 300Vdc :

The only measurement where I noticed a slight difference between devices was to measure DC current between the two multimeters (I measured a current through the resistance of 10 ohm to 13.2 VDC powered stabilized) as will be seen in pictures below.

Metrahit show a current 1,316 A and M890G show 1.27 A.

That is why I chose to do the movie 2, where I have replaced each measurement devices between them ...

Now go to see movies, where I extracted and calculated efficiency, obtained by power obtained,dividing by power consumed.

I used the ampermeter seried and voltmeter parraleled with SMPS primary input in order to accurately measure the power consumed by the ratio P = UxI.

I used the ampermeter seried and voltmeter parraleled on SMPS output, loaded with dummy load , to measure the exact power obtained by the ratio P = UxI.

Movie 1 SMPS loaded with 700 + W :

Test 1 Randament SMPS Leco.MOV - YouTube

Test 1 with Metrahit in primary

Primary 296Vdc x 2.55 Amps = 754.8 Watts power consumption

Secondary 120.7Vdc x 5.95 Amps = 718.165 Watts power obtained

Efficiency 95.14%

Continuing movie, above min 3, SMPS is loaded more than 1300Watts

Primary 288Vdc x 4,726Amps = 1361,088 Watts power consumption

Secondary 116,3Vdc x 11,17Amps = 1299,071 Watts power obtained

Efficiency 95.44%

Now I changed measurement units between them, Metrahit in secondary and primary M890G in.

Movie 2, Metrahit in secondary

Test 3 Randament SMPS Leco-001.mkv - YouTube

Primary 288Vdc x 2,55Amps = 759,9 Watts adding 2,6W losses on main rectifier bridge results 762,5W total power consumption

Secondary 121,9Vdc x 6Amps = 731,4 Watts power obtained

Efficiency 95.92%,

Remember, in any of the tests, SMPS was UNVENTILATED!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.