Mounting 4 EI transformers for Rane PS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Gents,

I've picked up a couple of lovely little Rane parametric EQs (FPE13's). I got these from the US, (and live in Australia) so the outboard power supplies are no good to me. And, I also am looking around for a Rane active xover.

So, why not build the power supply myself? It's not even really a power supply, as it outputs 18vac (not DC) via an RJ12 line (cat6?). Rane reckon that I'll get a ground loop if I try to use a single transformer and run all the units from a single output - so multiple transformers it is.

I've picked up some nice EI trannies from Harbuch, but then I thought "Is there any problem with mounting 4 EI transformers close to each other?" Of course, there's the possible heat problem, but they're only small, and I was planning to have reasonable ventilation in the box. I was more thinking of magnetic interference - would there be any problems there?

I'm not in too much of a hurry (still got the old EQ), and Mrs CE insists I build a fence first - as if the gates weren't enough! But I thought I'd plan the PCB, and was wondering if "all in a row" or "squished together in a block" (highly technical terms there!) would be best. I've got a Siemens general purpose filter and a couple of X caps and a fuse - but that is all that is required.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.