What kind of results would one get using a yoke ferite??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was just musing about attempting a self wound transformer using CRT yoke split core ferites as the core. Would anyone have an idea as to what I might expect? (Please no coments from the peanutgalery)

I have several sized yokes laying around with about 4 milion miles of magnet wire wound on them. I know what I can do with all that copper, but what if using some of it to make either a low voltage transformer or even a coil for use in a few SMPS's?

Actually it is more like 25 CRT yokes. :eek:

Any Ideas??

You can use them for high power, high frequency toroidal transformers. But: they have a permeability of approximately three, the core is designed to spread the flux out through the inside diameter (parallel flux lines) for accurate and predictable deflection. When using them as a transformer, you need to ensure that the turns encompass the entire core or there will be a lot of leakage inductance. here's an example: http://johansense.com/induction_heater/6/P1020794.JPG which is inside this: http://johansense.com/induction_heater/6/P1030090.JPG I haven't measured saturation flux density but you don't really want to be near it anyway because magnetising current will be excessive. realistic limits are in the neighbourhood of a few kilowatts per core at 100khz. 100mT at 100khz should not heat the yoke core up.

Not an EE nor do I actually know any specs on ferites so please bear with me on this. I am assuming that they are only good for hi-V and hi-Freq then? Or otherwise just a massive electromag? Could you somewhat elaborate on permeability and what its function is within the mag field? (ie. hi perm will render lo inductance?)?

To make this as simple as possible, the magnetizing current (also called no load current) would be [xxx permeability] times higher if you removed the core and attempted to power up the transformer. In real life, if you were to do this with a 60 hz transformer, the wire would light on fire within about 10 seconds to 1 minute. The simple reality is that the core is only there to increase the inductance. For textbook purposes only, it does so by the permeability. (ie, 500-2000 times more than the air coil) The second problem besides low permeability those yoke cores are a rather crappy form factor, they typically have a core area of only 2.5-3.5 cm^2 but the wire has to be 8-10 cm long to wrap all the way around it.

I thank you for the brief explaination. Perm was the only thing that was my missing link so to speak on what I already know. EI's is what I was taught as both Residential/Commercial Electrician and Naval electronics. But seing as how it has been a number of years since then I have not been able to catch my self up on a few theories of the "newer" technologys. Back then Tandy was still the "in" and MS just released NT3.11. :eek:
Digital was starting to emerge out into the real world. I have a good grasp on digital but still lack the "intuit" of puting digital together.
Of course that is all relative now.

Last edited:
Scratching this off...

Ok then i'll just :trash: the ferite yoke cores. I will probably keep the flyback transformer cores since they take up less storage space and i can Re-use the wire for EI's and it will be at least another year before I even attempt to make a simple SMPS. :scratch2:

if you want to throw all 25 into a 20$ flat rate box i'll take them. Again, due to the permeability of 3 or 4 they are only usable for high power, high frequency transformers.
Alpha cores direct has the cores you're looking for if you want to wind 60hz toroidal transformers. Of course, there's other suppliers as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for the source reference. :cool:
I will definitly send them to ya but I have to unwind them first. :checked:
9 of them are ready for unwinding and the others are awaiting complete removal from their original homes (rear projection CRTs). 1 of the 9 is from a Philips 23"-27"ish Flatpanel CRT (rather large) and another of the 9 is from an old Sony Trinitron 15" monitor (lots of wire there). It seems as though the Trinitron's deflection is what gave it its secret display sharpness by increasing the hz scan rate. I have to have at least all CRT TVs :smash: by the end of this month. Unwinding will take a while though. I hope you are not in a rush to build anything "Tesla Style". I will send you an email or pm every-so-often to keep you updated on the aprox finish date for mailing your :treasure:.

You should be able to break the entire assembly away from the CRT. Throw them in a bucket of water, let it all heat up to boiling, then unwind the litz wire, and taking the entire assembly apart is rather easy, for the most part it will all fall apart in your hands. (wear gloves of course.)

I haven't attempted yet to find a solvent that dissolves the glue used to hold the windings together but won't touch the wire insulation, but there's got to be one.

The way they make the crt coils is to coat the wire with glue that melts at something like 120C, then wind the coils on a machine, compress them in a die and heat them to make them stick, this is the reason you can't unwind them, but if you heat them up you'll get litz wire at reasonable quality.. and a lot cheaper than buying it new.

To bring back up this thread, I'm using ferrite cores from CRT to make transformers too. They are ranging in size from small nice donut-shaped ones from projection tv, to larger bell shaped ones. I've already made a few experimental transformers, and inductors, and they WORK GREAT. I use the FREE WIRE that comes from the DEGAUSS coil around the tube and have nearly 60lbs of just degauss coils to use for FREE COIL WIRE!!!!! Some Aluminum, but mostly Copper, and I don't scrap any of it, I keep it ALL for making coils! DIY jackpot!

I have yet to test high power but for one project, I'm using a thick and heavy CRT core from a 17 inch computer monitor, wound it with thick wire, and plan on making a > 2KW SMPS converter.

I weigh all my ferrites with a Jewelry Scale to know for sure which ferrites have more core material. Some ferrites LOOK the same size, but may be thinner, so the scale is a good tool.

I have dozens of ferrite yokes, and toroids and ferrite beads, all from SCRAP! All saved for winding inductors and transformers or other uses!

I'm also making a HUGE MONSTER batch of broken, scrap ferrites, to make the MONSTER TOROID - planning on 8-10 inch diameter Ferrite Toroid for SMPS-type projects, made by gluing together smashed up ferrites from transformers and yokes into a toroid shape, then wrap tape around the whole core then wrap wire. May be the biggest ferrite toroid in history, who knows, but for just the price of scrap televisions, why not???

HAVE FUN, CRT and TELEVISION SCRAP is a HUGE source of coils if you don't mind the effort!

BTW, an EASY source of THICK LITZ wire is to take a COPPER DEGAUSS COIL and cut it across, and solder together the strands with a 230W Solder Gun. You end up with a short piece 8-10awg of 30-40 strand litz, PERFECT for wrapping primaries for 12V SMPS transformers, etc...... You can't solder the aluminum coil wire, so it's not good for LITZ, but still great for other coils as single-strand.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.