Need a few suggestion .... Before I start Building.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys ,,,

I am planning to make a Lab power supply .... with the following specs...

1. 90-270V Input.
2. 12-24V variable O/p @ 33A.
3. Efficiency > 0.85
4. PF > 0.95

I have made the following assumption on how to achieve the following specs.
a.1&4 will be solved by a Active Pfc front end.
b. The 2&3 I am nt very sure hw to do it . Have a few ideas I will use a half bridge converter with a feed back and regulate the o/p voltage . and to achieve 85% efficency with a two stage converter will be difficult. As because in my last project of 450W smps with active pfc front end I was able to achieve only 82% at low line and 84% at high line...

Guys i need u help me out .... Which will be the simplest topology for the DC_DC stage with the highest efficiency.... And I also need to vary the o/p voltage by almost 50 percent.....

regards
sekhar

CCM Boost PFC followed by Full-Bridge.

.......Its 800W output , so you will be near 900W at input.

Do you think a single FET/Single diode PFC can manage 900W input?..........neither do i.

So you are probably going to have to do a dUAL PHASE ccm PFC.....ie two interleaved pfc stages.

Choose your max duty cyle depending on you r transient response.

You may need fan.

Calculate your switching loss......remember its the length of the miller plateau.

Its probably too much for pri current sense res......so you need current sense trafo.

I think you may find , at your power level that it is NOT POSSIBLE to do it without a fan.......so i feel convinced that you will need a fan.

I think deal with your design requirements of 90- 270vac with a very large variac, what a beast it would be.

Then the 12- 24 variable and 33 amps is immediately suggesting to me that you may have to compromise and be happy with 3 settings and use three individual 500va or larger transformers each with full wave bridges heat sinked, install circuit breakers and capacitance equal to 1000uf for each amp of current.

The use of a variac would of course change the secondary voltage of each transformer, which invites some design effort to match what it is doing to your requirement of 12-24Vdc. What about V- don't you need a negative voltage ?

You could then use 3x LM338 for about 5amps out for adjustment of voltages between these ranges, Hopefully just meeting your required needs. V+ raw at maximum current and regulated variable taps at less current.

Suggest you study actual requirements and ask WHY you need 33 amps.

Cheers / Chris

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.