Check toroid winding polarity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm newbie and right now I have 2 kits of HYPEX uCd 700 kits to begin with, I use 2pcs of TR 700 transformer, one for each amp (dual monoblock) and I'm wondering how to determine the polarity or (or start of winding?) in each transformer so I can connect it identically for each amp.

Is there any way to determine the start of winding of thevtoroidal transformer?

Thank You

There is no absolute start of winding in a transformer.

However u can determine the phase relation of the secondary wrt the primary. All u have to do is connect one of the ends of the secondary to the one of the primary connection and measure the voltage from the other end of the primary and the single primary end. The voltage will add or subtract depending on in-phase or out-of phase connection.

The polarity of connection is not of any relevance.

Gajanan Phadte

This picture from your PDF explains it quite well. The only problem I see is figuring out which is which with the brown and black wires.

You'll need a multimeter for this, set to measure resistance. With none of the wires connected to each other or anything else, there should be a fairly low resistance between the wires marked "A" and "B", and also between "C" and "D". There should be an open circuit (or very high resistance) between either "A" or "B" and "C" or "D".

Easiest is to start with one of the brown wires and check the resistance between that and each of the black wires, to find the one with low resistance. Then do the same for the other brown wire.

When you've got them sorted out, it may be a good idea to tie the pairs together with sticky tape or something, so they don't get mixed up again.

Attachments

• transformer.GIF
    transformer.GIF
    8.6 KB · Views: 191
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.