Shunyata DTCD power line analysis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2011, 03:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shunyata DTCD power line analysis

I read the Mickey Fremer review of the Shunyata "Hydra" power line conditioner in Stereophile and read the company's white paper on their DTCD analyzer. Shunyata Research: DTCD White Paper

I guess DTCD means "delta time current dump" as they juice up the cable with a pulsed discharge of a couple hundred amps over 50 usecs.

When you analyze this chart from the white paper, however, wouldn't it appear reasonable to standardize the curves so that the DC component of resistance is eliminated and only the reactive component depicted? After all, they state that listeners can distinguish simply on the basis of wire guage DCR.

Click the image to open in full size.

I mean, it looks to me like the standard black cable reaches a "stasis" before the Shunyata Venom 3 cable.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Does it make any sense at all to test a AC power line or conditioner using a huge DC power supply?

Hide this!Advertise here!