high current CCS using lm317

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's say you have a power NPN. Add a resistor in series with the emitter, and take the CCS output from the "far" end of the resistor. Now, connect the collector to the power source, the "in" of the 317 to the power source. Connect the 317's "out" to the transistor base, then the 317's "adj" terminal to the "far" end of the resistor.

The resistor is calculated as i(set)/0.55. That value is approximate, you may have to diddle the resistor value a bit.

I just happened to be working on a 0V to 20V regulator to replace one side of my Microanta bench supply that quit working as it uses a UA723 and I don't have one to replace it.

It seems to be working good as a simulation in this configuration as high power CCS.

As a regulator R4 is a .5 ohm for the existing metering and R1 is the load and R5 would be shorted or nonexistent.

Pretty cool as this would/could be the Basis to a bufferd version of Elvee's LM317 Class A amplifier.

Also I used the 1N4002's for the simulation and Diodes of the proper current rating should be substituted for your application.
Without the diodes the output voltage won't go to 0V as a regulator.
I haven't spent much time on this as I just now whipped up the CCS configuration.

Enjoy :cheers:
jer :)

Attachments

• BENCH SUPPLY ccs.jpg
    BENCH SUPPLY ccs.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.