bash and PSB 6i

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sure, something can fix it... but i don't know the details or schematic of that amp so the more details you provide about the failure, the amp electronics, etc, the better the chance is someone can help.

At what point does the fuse blow? Immediately upon turn on? Right when a signal (sound) is applied? After running for awhile? At peaks in volume?

You might disconnect the power board from the amp board if they're separate and then turn it on, seeing if the fuse blows without the amp board present. If it does that signals a power board failure.

Next step would seem to be tearing it down enough to examine the circuit board and take a couple good straight-down pictures of the top and bottom of whichever PCB you suspect is faulty. If the power board didn't blow, and it'd be good to use a multimeter to get voltage readings from it to confirm it seems operational, then it's probably the amp board at fault.

If you see no visible signs of damage on the amp board, no scorch marks, melted traces, burst capacitors, etc, then it's probably one of the output transistors shorted out. A schematic is usually helpful in these situations, but if none can be found then you can pull the transistors, do a web search for how to test them for basic integrity with a multimeter, and get the part #s off of them to find suitable replacements IF they are at fault.

Last edited:
Sure, something can fix it... but i don't know the details or schematic of that amp so the more details you provide about the failure, the amp electronics, etc, the better the chance is someone can help.

At what point does the fuse blow? Immediately upon turn on? Right when a signal (sound) is applied? After running for awhile? At peaks in volume?

You might disconnect the power board from the amp board if they're separate and then turn it on, seeing if the fuse blows without the amp board present. If it does that signals a power board failure.

Next step would seem to be tearing it down enough to examine the circuit board and take a couple good straight-down pictures of the top and bottom of whichever PCB you suspect is faulty. If the power board didn't blow, and it'd be good to use a multimeter to get voltage readings from it to confirm it seems operational, then it's probably the amp board at fault.

If you see no visible signs of damage on the amp board, no scorch marks, melted traces, burst capacitors, etc, then it's probably one of the output transistors shorted out. A schematic is usually helpful in these situations, but if none can be found then you can pull the transistors, do a web search for how to test them for basic integrity with a multimeter, and get the part #s off of them to find suitable replacements IF they are at fault.
First, thank you for taking time to reply. I tried to get a schematic from PSB, but they wanted 35.00 to send it to me in a pdf(wtf??)

I haven't done anything electrical(except house wiring) since Jr High(30 years ago).....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.