LM3886 transformer/bridged diode...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I am designing an amplifier out of an LM3886. The load impedance is 4 ohms.
I want to use two filter caps (6700 0r 10000uF) for the dual power supply which supply the LM3886 chip.

I have got just 2 questions.
1: how to choice the best suited bridged diode (foe instance if a 10A bridged diode is good enough for this purpose (the large filtering caps are shorted at first when the amplifier starts to work, So I would like to know how to select the best bridged diode so that it works just right and does not fry due to shorted filtering caps at the start point of amplifier working)).

2: what is the best choice for the toroid and non toroid transformer for this job? I mean the transformer current delivering and so on.

Thanks for any help:).

Coincidentally, about a year ago I built a 2-channel LM3886 amp, which I've been using with a pair of 4 ohm speaker for a while now (though not 24hrs/day). I'm very happy with it. The rectifier uses MUR860s by On semiconductor ON Semiconductor MUR860: 600 V, 8.0 A Ultrafast Rectifier.
I'm using the Antek AS-3218 Antek - AS-3218 which has built-in shielding and 18V secondaries.

Good luck and be sure to post photos of your build!

Coincidentally, about a year ago I built a 2-channel LM3886 amp, which I've been using with a pair of 4 ohm speaker for a while now (though not 24hrs/day). I'm very happy with it. The rectifier uses MUR860s by On semiconductor ON Semiconductor MUR860: 600 V, 8.0 A Ultrafast Rectifier.
I'm using the Antek AS-3218 Antek - AS-3218 which has built-in shielding and 18V secondaries.

Good luck and be sure to post photos of your build!

Hi and thanks for the replys.

2 questins:

isnt a 8A diode a way too low for 2 channeled power ampifier?
why you did use an ultrafast diode for the job? is it nessesery to use an ultrafast diode?

There is a sequence that you can follow, to arrive at the sizes and values for the components.

If you know the desired output power and the load impedance, then you can estimate the required supply voltage. That will also enable you to estimate the voltage and Volt-Amp (VA) rating for the transformer, and the maximum steady-state current required. The desired maximum ripple-voltage amplitude and max load current will give you the total smoothing capacitance needed. The capacitors' ESR (equivalent series resistance) spec will let you estimate the possible initial inrush current magnitude (and with cap values would give an estimate of its duration and profile vs time). If a regulator is to be used, then max ripple voltage amplitude, rectifier voltage drop, the regulator drop-out voltage spec, and the worst-case transformer regulation and worst-case line voltage excursion will also need to be accounted for, when the transformer voltage is selected, to make sure that the bottom of the ripple voltage waveform can't make the regulator go into dropout, which would be quite ugly (smile).

Note that the initial inrush current might be many tens of Amps, but its time duration might be short-enough that lower-rated rectifier diodes or bridges could handle it OK.

Some of the basics that you need are here: Unregulated Power Supply Design .

The Chipamps forum has a "sticky" thread (at the top), that's all about power supplies for chipamps.

Last edited:
I like/love your reply. It seems to remind me of what I advise.
Give some guidance and tell them/him/her to go and read.

Thanks. It wasn't entirely consciously planned that way. (smile) I just thought that the process-level view was what was needed the most, at that moment. And, maybe like you, I thought that the details would probably be best-learned by just churning around in them for a while. Either that or I was in a hurry. (grin)

10ms is the whole half wave period.
A pulse from the mains waveform that remains at full peak amperes for just 10% of the halfwave will be 1ms.
If the current ramps up to peak and down again then the time at peak or exceeding 50% of peak amperes is very likely to be <<1ms duration.
The 500us single pulse transient capability of the diode is likely to be a few (or many) times the 10ms limit.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.