Faulty Connexelectronic SMPS2000R [Resolved]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sorry when i say it shuts down, i mean it goes into hiccup mode or whatever mode it goes into when there is overload as in continuous short on output....i beg the OP to send us the name of the controller.......if nothing else, it is interesting to reverse engineer a smps which costs $177.............but mainly , i wish to assist the OP.

Hi,
Firstly, thanks all for your posts. I had an email notification awhile ago, but nothing since so I didn't check back.

Anyway, some progress - Cristi has asked me to put a 220uf cap in parallel with C16 and a 4.7R resistor in parallel with R38. I wanted clarification on the capacitor as the silkscreen is underneath, so there's no way to identify which is which.

The circuit is based on the STMicroelectronics L6599AD. Click here for the datasheet.

I'm reading it now and I'll hook up the oscilloscope next time I get a chance...

Wife's nearly home so time to tidy up the electronics mess!

Thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it!!! And yes, linear PSU next time - duly noted!

Gareth

Hi all,
I ordered two SMPS2000R power supplies to power my Tripath TA0105A amps. One works OK but the other was dead on arrival. I have tried everything to get help from Cristi, but to no avail. I've even recorded videos of my attempts to debug the circuit and posted it on YouTube. Cristi tells me that video sites are blocked where he comes from, so I hosted the video on my site. Apparently that didn't work either...so I cut the video into 5 and emailed them, but that didn't work either...

Something is very fishy. They can be an eMerchant with their own site, and live in an area where they know things get blocked, but cannot find a way to access one of the most popular websites on the internet? I'm in disbelief. Even teenagers use proxies all the time to get around blocked sites and Youtube is flash based, should have worldwide compatibility. At the very least Cristi should have suggested a file sharing site they have access to where you could upload it.

Supposedly the product has a 3 month warranty, I'm wondering how much of that has elapsed already and if these are stall tactics. Even if you don't end up needing to use the warranty replacement option, I would proceed to attempt an RMA validation so if you end up needing to, you can send it back within the 3 month time period.

While I don't know how much it will cost in postage to do so, at some point your time is more valuable than the postage cost, especially considering that no matter what is wrong, odds are it is not a spare part you have lying around so you still incur parts and their shipping cost(s) in addition to the time, and if you attempt to DIY fix it and that doesn't work, if it is still broken or fails again, you have then voided the warranty and have no recourse other than to spend more time and money or throw it in the trash.

Last edited:
Something is very fishy. They can be an eMerchant with their own site, and live in an area where they know things get blocked, but cannot find a way to access one of the most popular websites on the internet? I'm in disbelief. Even teenagers use proxies all the time to get around blocked sites and Youtube is flash based, should have worldwide compatibility. At the very least Cristi should have suggested a file sharing site they have access to where you could upload it.

Supposedly the product has a 3 month warranty, I'm wondering how much of that has elapsed already and if these are stall tactics. Even if you don't end up needing to use the warranty replacement option, I would proceed to attempt an RMA validation so if you end up needing to, you can send it back within the 3 month time period.

While I don't know how much it will cost in postage to do so, at some point your time is more valuable than the postage cost, especially considering that no matter what is wrong, odds are it is not a spare part you have lying around so you still incur parts and their shipping cost(s) in addition to the time, and if you attempt to DIY fix it and that doesn't work, if it is still broken or fails again, you have then voided the warranty and have no recourse other than to spend more time and money or throw it in the trash.
n/m

Last edited:
just a thought, is the link for -UK-USA mains in?

If so then the input caps will be blown if your in Europe.

Yes, I have laboured the point about our 240V supply in the UK, but the other one is fine. I can't see a way to switch between 110/240V so I don't know if it's universal or not - no documentation!

I think you make a very good point here. It was asking for a replacement that sparked a response - albeit a short one...

Thanks again all!

OK, yu say you can't find a link.........so we must assume it doesnt have one.

But surely it is very unwise to attempt an 2KW LLC Resonant converter (using L6599) without a link?

LLC Resonant converters are best made with a pretty constant input voltage.........if the input voltage is variable across a big range (which it would be without a link) then the design of the LLC smps becomes suboptimal....

...that is , one has to make the magnetising inductor very small in relation to the "leakage" inductor....this results in a lot of current flow in the primary circuit and is not at all good.

It is very surprising that there is no link.........it is a simple thing they could have done to improve it drastically.

Gareth

I am sorry to hear you are having to go through this...

On your first post you asked about people having bad experience with Connexelectronic products.

I purchased several items from them and the quality of the items and support from Cristi has always been very good. Thus, your experience does not match mine, unfortunately.

I know that Cristi was sick for a couple of weeks (or more) and that had an impact on his ability to work and help his costumers. Perhaps you are one of the people that got affected by his situation.

I hope this issue will be resolved soon so that you can enjoy the "good part of DIY".

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have responded to your email. All I want is a working PSU that I have shelled out cash for. I can answer each and every point in a very succinct fashion, and I believe that there is not a sole out there who would agree with this level of customer service.

I haven't been provided a quote for the DHL difference, but as stated by email, I'm more than happy to pay the cost...It really isn't about saving a few £ or $...it's about getting a working product.

As stated in my mail, I think we should start again - I don't appreciate the language used in your email and I find most of it quite insulting. For the third time - I just want a working PSU - whatever I have to do...

I have tried to help you to debug and repair since the very first email sent. i provided you hints to locate the problem. you insist to send you the schematic. this rises me doubts. i could very easy say from the very beginning to send it back, you know that it takes for me less time to fix-it than to answer to each mail. i tried to avoid that to save your money. read carefully the mails to see where and how many times i mentioned that.
the quote for DHL was provided few days before was sent. then i sent you a mail in which i told you the amount and a paypal money request. all were ignored. i leave-it, i'm not ding after 30$. i bet that you would never remember if you would not have problems.

so, eventually, after all this dirt you want to send it back to repair/replace ? or just wait few more weeks maybe someone else will dare to help you here.

but really , we need a schematic....
what for? you got stuck with your project and no fresh ideas ? or to write an "independent" review ? i saw what you wrote few months back. i didn't bother to reply at that time when you stated that those caps are underrated, i just considered that was just another junk message and i ignored. but now, maybe some others are curious. there are 4 caps in prallel, each rated at 19A peak current. 19*4=?
it looks like an unusual smps....states it can deliver 2600W from 115VAC........the rms mains input current woul dbe LITERALLY ENORMOUS because it doesnt have a PFC stage..........such enormous current could well result in resonations at power up.....eg resonations in the emi filter etc etc...have you checked the white "bathtub" resistor...is that open circuit?
well, why you tell them that ? maybe you know that it can't deliver that power. others didn't know that it can't deliver the stated power and just took few (tens of pcs) and used in their products. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/87913-class-d-amp-photo-gallery-8.html#post2609954 what's funny, none of them died yet.
Ask connexelectric if the designer still works for them......its likely they got in a designer, who designed the product then just left....this is very much less than ideal.
ask who ? who's the designer, supplier, shipping man, email, and whatever else need. unfortunately hasn't left yet, but might leave soon, not too much satisfaction from any side in the past months.

Anyway, please can you tell what those mods are that they recomended you to do................we dont have a schematic so cant recognise what parts they are, but i can guess.......

..i am guessing that the 220uF cap you have been asked to add is the primary bias rail capacitance......i am guessing that there is not enough capacitance there, and that the controller is timing out before the bias winding powers up.........i am also assuming that the 4r7 parallel resistor you have been asked to add is a series resistor in the bias winding, leading into the bias capacitor......it is used to prevent high peak currents "stabbing" into the bias rail capacitor.

Anyway, am i right in my assessment?, and does it work now?, is it switching the gate of the fet?...does the L6599 get volts to its supply pin?

Oh right Cristi i see your mail now.

I see the SMPS2000R is 2.6KW peak power rated.

I am sure you would agree that when supplying 2.6KW continuously, the input electrolytics are going to be over-ripple-currented.?

...this is the case for any SMPS that doesnt contain a PFC stage, not just the connexelectronic.

You can add more and more paralleled electrolytics at the input, and increase your ripple current withstand.......but then you end up failing mains harmonic current levels.....(i am speaking about when doing 2.6KW continuous)

Questions often come up about your competitors smps's and they get just as much critical attention, as i have done myself.......ultimately, customers are looking for someone to come and tell them just why the product is really good....just trying to inspire someone to tell just how good it is...and why its so good.

You can add more and more paralleled electrolytics at the input, and increase your ripple current withstand.......but then you end up failing mains harmonic current levels.....(i am speaking about when doing 2.6KW continuous)

if i remember correctly, there are tens, maybe hundreds of amps in pro-audio which use SMPS instead of bulky transformers. some are rated to >3KW and use class H topology. the average current drawn is higher than of a class D amplifier with same power rating. how come most of them are still working fine after 5, 10 or even more years of usage in PA field, where sometimes the mains voltage is provided by gensets, which use to drop both the voltage and frequency ? it is not (yet) mandatory to use PFC for PA audio, and i dare to consider that a 2kw or more SMPS can be included in this cathegory.
another question, what is the peak/average factor for these power supplies ?

Gareth, what exactly was insulting ? the fact that i told you that 90% of the ppls don't admit when they do some bull$hit and they just say simple: DOA ? i told you very clear that i didnt included (yet) in this cathegory, i could only be certain if i would see what happen. or that i also said that you might never update if i solve your problem ? after i saw this happening almost every time, i have made an idea about how ppls behave. have a problem? start complaining. problem solved ? forget-it.
correct me if i'm wrong. sometimes are some exceptions. but very few. are you one of them ?

Last edited:
2.6KW ?

What if those SMPS leaves the factory without being tested?

Impossible. i have my own workshop where are produced. i test myself each and everyone. the quantity produced is not big enough to gain the interest of any serious factory, and i don't deal anymore with small factories where workers can't make the difference between a peanut and a capacitor. those are real sources of troubles.
if is not working after arrived to customer, i cannot exclude that could be damaged during shipping. one board weights over 1kg. transformer only weights 300-350g. if some morn throw the package during shipping or plays football with it, the board can crack. although i use few layers of packaging, in some cases the package is opened at customs and they don't bother to repack. when arrives at customer, there is a board thrown inside a damaged cardboard box and without any Styrofoam or package material. i had at least one case when the ex-shipping company had opened the package and removed the material just because the package weight was close to 1kg, so DHL would quote the package at 1.5kg. off course they charged me as for 1.5kg although they paid as for 1kg. i showed them pictures with the package after the customer received and the invoice where was clearly stated 1.0kg. they called me nuts, cuz i have nothing better to do than to watch them, so i changed them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.