Faulty Connexelectronic SMPS2000R [Resolved] - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2011, 07:28 AM   #21
! is offline !  United States
diyAudio Member

What is it worth? Assigning value helps to decide replacement cost vs time (or risk).
Old 10th December 2011, 09:06 AM   #22
Banned

sorry when i say it shuts down, i mean it goes into hiccup mode or whatever mode it goes into when there is overload as in continuous short on output....i beg the OP to send us the name of the controller.......if nothing else, it is interesting to reverse engineer a smps which costs $177.............but mainly , i wish to assist the OP.
Old 12th December 2011, 09:23 PM   #23
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
Hi,
Firstly, thanks all for your posts. I had an email notification awhile ago, but nothing since so I didn't check back.

Anyway, some progress - Cristi has asked me to put a 220uf cap in parallel with C16 and a 4.7R resistor in parallel with R38. I wanted clarification on the capacitor as the silkscreen is underneath, so there's no way to identify which is which.

The circuit is based on the STMicroelectronics L6599AD. Click here for the datasheet.

I'm reading it now and I'll hook up the oscilloscope next time I get a chance...

Wife's nearly home so time to tidy up the electronics mess!

Thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it!!! And yes, linear PSU next time - duly noted!

Gareth
Old 12th December 2011, 11:31 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarkov View Post
Hi all,
I ordered two SMPS2000R power supplies to power my Tripath TA0105A amps. One works OK but the other was dead on arrival. I have tried everything to get help from Cristi, but to no avail. I've even recorded videos of my attempts to debug the circuit and posted it on YouTube. Cristi tells me that video sites are blocked where he comes from, so I hosted the video on my site. Apparently that didn't work either...so I cut the video into 5 and emailed them, but that didn't work either...
Something is very fishy. They can be an eMerchant with their own site, and live in an area where they know things get blocked, but cannot find a way to access one of the most popular websites on the internet? I'm in disbelief. Even teenagers use proxies all the time to get around blocked sites and Youtube is flash based, should have worldwide compatibility. At the very least Cristi should have suggested a file sharing site they have access to where you could upload it.

Supposedly the product has a 3 month warranty, I'm wondering how much of that has elapsed already and if these are stall tactics. Even if you don't end up needing to use the warranty replacement option, I would proceed to attempt an RMA validation so if you end up needing to, you can send it back within the 3 month time period.

While I don't know how much it will cost in postage to do so, at some point your time is more valuable than the postage cost, especially considering that no matter what is wrong, odds are it is not a spare part you have lying around so you still incur parts and their shipping cost(s) in addition to the time, and if you attempt to DIY fix it and that doesn't work, if it is still broken or fails again, you have then voided the warranty and have no recourse other than to spend more time and money or throw it in the trash.

Last edited by !; 12th December 2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:09 AM   #25
Banned

just a thought, is the link for -UK-USA mains in?

If so then the input caps will be blown if your in Europe.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:50 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ! View Post
Something is very fishy. They can be an eMerchant with their own site, and live in an area where they know things get blocked, but cannot find a way to access one of the most popular websites on the internet? I'm in disbelief. Even teenagers use proxies all the time to get around blocked sites and Youtube is flash based, should have worldwide compatibility. At the very least Cristi should have suggested a file sharing site they have access to where you could upload it.

Supposedly the product has a 3 month warranty, I'm wondering how much of that has elapsed already and if these are stall tactics. Even if you don't end up needing to use the warranty replacement option, I would proceed to attempt an RMA validation so if you end up needing to, you can send it back within the 3 month time period.

While I don't know how much it will cost in postage to do so, at some point your time is more valuable than the postage cost, especially considering that no matter what is wrong, odds are it is not a spare part you have lying around so you still incur parts and their shipping cost(s) in addition to the time, and if you attempt to DIY fix it and that doesn't work, if it is still broken or fails again, you have then voided the warranty and have no recourse other than to spend more time and money or throw it in the trash.
n/m

Last edited by !; 13th December 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 13th December 2011, 01:27 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eem2am View Post
just a thought, is the link for -UK-USA mains in?

If so then the input caps will be blown if your in Europe.
Yes, I have laboured the point about our 240V supply in the UK, but the other one is fine. I can't see a way to switch between 110/240V so I don't know if it's universal or not - no documentation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ! View Post

I think you make a very good point here. It was asking for a replacement that sparked a response - albeit a short one...

Thanks again all!
Old 13th December 2011, 01:35 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I was getting ready to order two of the SMPS2000 but will wait and see
how this matter is resolved.

Sam
Old 13th December 2011, 01:42 PM   #29
Banned

OK, yu say you can't find a link.........so we must assume it doesnt have one.

But surely it is very unwise to attempt an 2KW LLC Resonant converter (using L6599) without a link?

LLC Resonant converters are best made with a pretty constant input voltage.........if the input voltage is variable across a big range (which it would be without a link) then the design of the LLC smps becomes suboptimal....

...that is , one has to make the magnetising inductor very small in relation to the "leakage" inductor....this results in a lot of current flow in the primary circuit and is not at all good.

It is very surprising that there is no link.........it is a simple thing they could have done to improve it drastically.
Old 13th December 2011, 03:19 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

From the website:

Quote:
This SMPS can be used both at 230V AC Mains input voltage as well as 110V AC Mains supply voltage
There are no options for ordering a specific input voltage so I assume it must be universal. Maybe that's the role of the relay at the input? I had assumed it was some kind of soft start or safety mechanism, but who knows?!

Regards,
Gareth

Hide this!Advertise here!