Faulty Connexelectronic SMPS2000R [Resolved] - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2011, 07:46 PM   #11
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarkov View Post
Hi all,
I ordered two SMPS2000R power supplies to power my Tripath TA0105A amps. One works OK but the other was dead on arrival. I have tried everything to get help from Cristi, but to no avail. I've even recorded videos of my attempts to debug the circuit and posted it on YouTube. Cristi tells me that video sites are blocked where he comes from, so I hosted the video on my site. Apparently that didn't work either...so I cut the video into 5 and emailed them, but that didn't work either...

Next was Skype - but you both have to be on at the same time for that to work...now all attempts to communicate via email have gone unanswered.Two questions:
  1. Has anyone else had this problem with Connexelectronic?
  2. Any ideas how to debug the SMPS2000R?!

Thanks!
Gareth

Emails to them requesting info has gone unanswered, i never buy from those who don't respond , if before sales are poor and marginal, imagine after sale...
Old 8th December 2011, 08:33 PM   #12
norazmi is offline norazmi  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

use linear power supply next time
Old 8th December 2011, 10:37 PM   #13
! is offline !  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norazmi View Post
use linear power supply next time
I bet we're going to see a lot of posts in a few years from people who didn't follow that suggestion. SMPS failure is one of the most common failures I see on equipment *in general*.
Old 9th December 2011, 02:53 PM   #14
Banned

is it just a 2 layer pcb...if so , then there is some hope of finding the fault.......but really , we need a schematic....

Do you know what PWM controller it is using, -if you can tell us this we can tell you what to expect on its pins........check the pwm controller is receiving power...............do the obvious first...check for any missing components etc......is you ntc faile dopen circuit.......are the diodes of your diode bridge still diodes...etc etc

it looks like an unusual smps....states it can deliver 2600W from 115VAC........the rms mains input current woul dbe LITERALLY ENORMOUS because it doesnt have a PFC stage..........such enormous current could well result in resonations at power up.....eg resonations in the emi filter etc etc...have you checked the white "bathtub" resistor...is that open circuit?

Also, is the black thing at the input a relay...if so, check it operates...it looks like an inrush relay......................also, trace all power rails.....what about the startup circuit, is that working ok...?

Ask connexelectric if the designer still works for them......its likely they got in a designer, who designed the product then just left....this is very much less than ideal.

Last edited by eem2am; 9th December 2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: missed info
Old 9th December 2011, 03:23 PM   #15
Banned

OK i saw your youtube video......so you say on the bad board the ntc is NOT heat-pasted to the heatsink?

I see you not use isolation transformer, so i am reluctant to ask you to follow live line through to the rectifier....and then check bus, cuzz i dont want you accidentally slipping and zapping yourself.....but anyway , to properly test you really need to power down, then solder wires to the test voltage points...then coroc clip these to your DVM probes, but this will take time as i know.

Can you show us the board underside?

You need to go round-the-pins on the pwm controller, but you cant really do that with that dvm as you'll keep slipping off.
Old 9th December 2011, 06:42 PM   #16
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
you don't need schematic (unless it still can be posted). Such supply are really not hard to understand, there is no weird element used that could not be understood. All you need is to check the voltages, if those are ok, check the waveforms and at this point you can already say where the problem is...

you just have to pull out the scope and use it, nothing to it
Old 9th December 2011, 07:04 PM   #17
Banned

..can you power down , carefull discharge all the caps, and then take resistance reading across all output rails, to see if one of the output caps has gone short.?
Old 9th December 2011, 10:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I don't see how that is important
Old 10th December 2011, 12:28 AM   #19
Banned

maybe there is short on output....then the overload protection in the pwm controller acts and shuts down the smps
Old 10th December 2011, 06:04 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

there would still you some signs of life from driver IC, oscillator would work, output would put out pulses, it would have right voltages on other pins, which would also mean, on pin for overcurrent event

Hide this!Advertise here!