Need advice on power supply for TA2020 + DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2011, 08:31 PM   #1
sfasf is offline sfasf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Need advice on power supply for TA2020 + DAC

I'm quite a noob when it comes to power supplies so need some help please!

I plan on using a 14v PSU to power the TA2020 chip. Would a non-brick supply (something more like the meanwell supplies) be significantly better than an external brick (those used for monitors seem to be common 14v) ?

I will be including a DAC (currently working on PCM1794 or PS1's DAC) and USB-I2S chip (PCM2706). The latter I plan on powering from the USB port, as there is no analogue part.

The TA2020 creates a 5V supply, which can be used to power its input stage.. would it be possible to use this also to power the DAC (and any required output stage of the DAC) ?? I haven't found any info about how many amps it can output on their datasheet. Secondly, would it be wise?? (right now i'm assuming not)

Assuming discrete power is desired for the DAC chip, how should this be done?? ..should it be derived from the 14v supply, or separate?? Any schematics or links appreciated here!

Would then using this to also power the TA2020 input stage be a good idea, or would it give a 'contaminated' signal??

At what point should the grounds be connected? closest to the plug/wall.. or ??

Thanks, sfasf
Old 28th November 2011, 08:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

pretty please?
Old 30th November 2011, 09:07 AM   #3
frasco is offline frasco  Finland
diyAudio Member

I'm also interested in this, although I'm thinking about powering an Arduino.

I guess you could take the 5V either from the chip or using a 5V regulator from the 12V power supply, the latter probably being more stable. Just guessing here though. Another guess would be that the grounding depends on your general grounding scheme. I'm kind of noobish myself so take my word with a grain of salt.

Thinkig about it now, I believe I have an old PS1 lying around somewhere, maybe I'll try something similar. I've considered integrating a USB DAC to my amp but.. maybe I'll start and finish building the amp first... (got the last parts in the mail today, wheee!)
Old 30th November 2011, 09:09 AM   #4
frasco is offline frasco  Finland
diyAudio Member

Heh, here's a prompt answer to a similar question: Topping TP20 mk2 5v
Old 30th November 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

the link provided is someone asking if they can power their airport express from the TA2020's 5VGEN. Obivously no. The DAC chip however would use magnitudes less of power. However, most of my questions, about the separation/implementation of power remain!

Hide this!Advertise here!