Charging Lithium Batteries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I been charging Alkaline 9v batteries with no problem, done slowly so nothing explodes. I have exploded some 9v batteries by accident, when they came in contact with a piece of metal, shorting them. No big big deal ... just popped like a fire cracker and no mess.

So, now I bought some lithium 9 volts. When they are dead I want to charge them like I did the alkaline batteries. Anyone tried this? Just curious if there are issues with doing this. Yes, they have Lithium-ion rechargeable 9 volts but they cost a lot more.

Will it work? Anything I should be concerned about?

There is a reason that everything today uses Lithium Ion batteries, because batteries that use lithium metal do not recharge well. They can become very unstable, so much that you don't really have to do anything wrong for them to have issues.Some cell phones in Japan used lithium metal anodes in the early 90s and were outlawed later after a few caught fire while people were using them.
There are good reasons to use a primary lithium battery, but much better solutions if you want to recharge them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.