F1J - Able to identify?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if someone can help me identify the following component:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Not much to go on by the picture I know, but one side of it has blown off so I can't make out the markings on it.

One side does however read. F1J

I'm guessing it's a fuse resistor, possibly 0.1 ohm?

It's out of a blown PSU for a PC, but the PSU is a mini proprietary type for a Sony Vaio all in one computer, which are basically impossible to replace, as no where stocks the PSUs, and it seems such a waste.

I'm hoping just replacing this will fix the issue and it's not connected to some sort of short. Doing some research on these, appear to show that these PSU's failure rate was quite high, and no doubt all the same issue.

Thanks.

I came across the following when researching reasons for something like this to happen.

So I guess I'll need to test the caps first, failing that presume it was a power surge or lightning strike?

"Supply dead, fuse blown - shorted switchmode power transistor and other semiconductors, open fusable resistors, other bad parts. Note: actual cause of failure may be power surge/brownout/lightning strikes, random failure, or primary side electrolytic capacitor(s) with greatly reduced capacity or entirely open - test them before powering up the repaired unit."

Sorry to resurrect but this item has remained in my attic for ages now.

Just wondering how I might be able to source a replacement component? I'm not able to identify exactly what it is other than the info I first supplied.

I agree the fault is likely to be something else, but it is possible that it could be power surge related.

I've read many people binning these PSU's because of failure and because they were of a design that a standard psu couldn't replace due to size constraints.

So I'd like to repair this one and get the PC working again.

F1J = 1Watt 5%
If you want to make any progress on that, it is necessary to investigate into the surroundings. I assume you have no circuit diagram.
But you could tell us to what other components it connects - this might give us a clue for an educated guess ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.