Pioneer amplifier voltage selector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all I was just after a bit of advice.
I have a pioneer vsx-521k amplifier and I want to change it from 110v to 240v.
I have taken the power supply out and on the board there is a spot for a switch, however the switch is not on the board and instead there is jumper wires connecting the terminals.
Does anyone know if I can re-arange the jumper wires to convert it to 240V???
Thanks,
Jay

IMAG0665.jpg

This is a photo of the power board.
as you can see i put a jumper from the center terminal of the selector to the R/H terminal. it was originally from the center to the L/H terminal. Which was achieved by jumping j302 and 301.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Your piccy appears to show just an auxilliary power supply that will be used to keep the microprocessor and remote receiver active when in standby.

So I think there is a lot more you need to check.

Does the main amplifier power supply use a normal mains transformer or does it use an SMPS type supply ? That also has to be altered for 240 vac. An SMPS type may need no adjustment (but you MUST check for sure). A linear supply certainly will need adjustment... and that may not even be possible depending on the original transformer fitted and its intended market.

I would advise caution with this as you risk writing the unit off if you get it wrong.

Thanks Mooly, yes there is a second transformer as seen in this photo.
One of the power inputs to this transformer comes directly from the AC lead and the other comes from the power selector terminal on the power circuit board.
With 110V input, the voltage across the centre and L/H posts of the voltage selector is 86V, and across centre and R/H is 44V.
That's the reason I thought it might be as easy as changing the jumper wire.
IMAG0667.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's a linear (normal PSU).

What you are looking for (and going off the picture I can't see it) is multiple primary windings to allow voltage selection. All I can see is the blue and black leads from the centre of the transformer bobbin going to what appears to be the mains input feed to the transformer. Which if that is so means its a single voltage winding. All the other wires appear to come from the outer bobbin which are the secondaries.

Equipment like this is aimed at many markets and the small auxilliary PCB does appear to have voltage selection available but that is only for that PCB which may be fitted to all variants. The main transformer looks like it is single voltage only.

What does it say on the rear panel ? Does it specify 110/130/240 etc via adjustment or not.

I think what you are measuring voltage wise is just the voltage across the different primary tappings on the small transformer.

Order the "dual Voltage" transformer from Pioneer.
You will also need the "dual Voltage selector" as well.
Your unit is a USA Marketed Consumer version of the Pioneer Receiver. You will need the Military Consumer version.
Pioneer sells their Products through the Army Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES), and to many Military Audio/Photo Clubs overseas. All the "Military" Retail Amps and Receivers come with multi voltage selectors (ie: 115V,220V, 230V and 250V Mains select).
Just give Pioneer your Model Number and ask for a "Multi Primary Voltage Transformer".
If you are good, you can wire the transformer without the voltage selector. The easiest way is to install the selector (it is just a plastic plug with four or six wires that when positioned in its receptacle interconnects the proper transformer windings to allow the unit to operate on more than one mains voltage). The selector has a retainer that keeps it in place once the voltage selection is made.
RAF Lakenheath has an Audio Photo Club. If you can get someone stationed there to order the transformer for you it will simplify your aquisition. You may even get one of the Club Techs to photocopy the power supply schematic for the "military version" power supply and transformer interconnect.
Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.