Best way to create a dual supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been doing alot of research into creating a bi-polar supply from a single one and ran into quite alot of options. I have one extra requirement, the load will not be balanced across the supply. The dual supply will be powering a headphone amp but the positive rail will also be used to power a microcontroller.

My first design failed because I didnt consider this, the rails became very unbalanced with the extra load.

So I need a design that will source enough current and is immune to loading effects (op amp buffer?). At this point I'd like to use a single AC-AC wallwart rather than a chassis mount transformer. The only way I would consider a transformer is if its a small board mount. It's a headphone amp, I cant have it take up a crazy amount of space.

Thanks for any ideas

If there is a constant asymetry, you can use a standard voltage regulator to create the virtual 0.
See an example adapted to your situation:

Attachments

• DCct.gif
    DCct.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 364
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.