Filter Cap Voltage Rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The cap should be ok with either output. I usually go with something like 20% to 50% "overhead" but I'm not sure how that fits with any "official" RoT or best practice. BTW, power supply filter caps are usually rated for WVDC (working volts direct current), not Vpp.

The cap should be ok with either output. I usually go with something like 20% to 50% "overhead" but I'm not sure how that fits with any "official" RoT or best practice. BTW, power supply filter caps are usually rated for WVDC (working volts direct current), not Vpp.

Great! Thanks. Is WVDC the rated output voltage or the peak voltage (i.e. top of the 120hz sine curve)? I know they are fairly close, just trying to get a picture in my head of what manufacturers have in mind when they rate a cap.

Is there a rule of thumb or best practice for choosing the voltage rating on a supply capacitor? I have two transformers, one puts out 36VAC and the other 53VAC. Would a 63Vpp rated cap do or would I have to go to 80Vpp for the bigger supply?
AC volts are rms values, don't forget the √2 ratio between that value (a pure mathematical construction), and the real peak value.
In addition, a transformer voltage is specified fully loaded, and for the nominal mains voltage. Add 10% for unloaded condition, another 10% for mains variations, and you arrive at 1.414*1.1*1.1=1.71.
With 36VAC, that's 61.6V. 63V is just sufficient, with no additional margin.
With 53V, you're completely out, and 80V is not sufficient either, you have to go for 100V.

Bad advice 63 Vdc rated Cap is not enough for 53 Vac

53 VAC * 1.414 = 75 Vpeak

xfmr also have "regulation" issues - they give a higher V unloaded so that they meet their VA spec under load

then there is line variation - design for 10% high line V

I would use 20% over the peak rectified V as a starting point for the Derating calculation, usually another +20-25%

stacking these factors you could make a rule of thumb of using Cap Vdc rating of ~2x the xfmr Vac #

so I would use 100 Vdc rated Caps with the 53 Vac xfmr, 75-80 with the 36 Vac xfmr

If you are using it center tapped for a dual supply then each polarity is only 1/2 the peak and you could use the 63 V rated C

I have seen many underated C in commercial supplies - it can work - but it is bad design

Last edited:
Thanks, Elvee. I assumed the outputs mentioned were open circuit and not the rated voltages. 53 volts is sorta odd to me for a transformer.
somejohndoe, ideally the cap will charge to the peak voltage and stay there, so use that value + the safety margins spelled out in Elvee's post. As a diy'er, I have to rely on the manufacturers' ratings, ie that "stay there" voltage. Including worst case and a little CYA margin is a necessary habit when selecting virtually any component.

The xformer is a CT-ground with each side being 53v. Looks like 80V might be running close to the wind. I might double up a couple of 10000uF 100V for each rail.
Today's capacitor are much less tolerant on overvoltage than before: 35 years ago, you could go away with murder, apply a quasi- permanent overvoltage of +25% to a part, and it would happily survive.

If you try the same kind of trick with a modern cap, be prepared for a loud surprise.....

Today's capacitor are much less tolerant on overvoltage than before: 35 years ago, you could go away with murder, apply a quasi- permanent overvoltage of +25% to a part, and it would happily survive.

If you try the same kind of trick with a modern cap, be prepared for a loud surprise.....

That would be great except the original amp was about 6 years old. Part of the fate of modern, mass produced, price sensitive electronics. I have found some 15000uF/100V electros locally so I will use those. Didn't want to spend money but would rather have a working and safe device than a cheap but dangerous one. I had the 63V caps on hand (22000uF ones!) but I'll probably reuse the 80V caps for the 36V supply in another unit, just for caution.

That would be great except the original amp was about 6 years old. Part of the fate of modern, mass produced, price sensitive electronics. I have found some 15000uF/100V electros locally so I will use those. Didn't want to spend money but would rather have a working and safe device than a cheap but dangerous one. I had the 63V caps on hand (22000uF ones!) but I'll probably reuse the 80V caps for the 36V supply in another unit, just for caution.

63V caps is just fine for your 36V transformer. they will handle opp to 44V transformer (unloaded) and you don't drive your amps unloaded, do you?:)
i have used 63V caps with bouth 40V and 42V transformers for a very long time now. my class D with 42V transformer shows just under 57V with the amp running.
my class A amp with 40V transformer shows 50V when running.

Last edited:
Or one of the fuses blows.

Has your 44vac recommendation taken account of mains supply variations?

44V unloaded. i am not talking about 44V sec transformer.
but lets look at that. a 2x40V transformer gives 40V under load at 115V/230V mains. not 110/220V. so its 5% rise in worst case.
BTW: thule IA150 is running 2x44V transformer and 63V caps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.