Wiring an Antek Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

Just got my transformer from Antek today, model AN-4428. I would like to wire it up and check it's output before continuing to connect it to my power supply, but I'm not really sure the proper way to connect the primary winding. The transformer has four primary leads (wires), with two pairs of black and red. I know that the transformer is supposed to work with 115V and 220V, so i can understand why there is an extra pair, I just don't know exactly how I am supposed to connect them to my AC plug.

I'll attach two pictures to help clarify.

Thanks for any help!

(also, I am using 115VAC, not 220)

Attachments

• 2011-10-13_15-47-40_552.jpg
    2011-10-13_15-47-40_552.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 766
  • 2011-10-13_15-47-20_848.jpg
    2011-10-13_15-47-20_848.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 730
Simply use the two primaries in parallel: red with red, black with black, and connect red/red and black/black to mains.

Same for the 28V: if you just need a plain 28V, put the same colors together, and if you need a center tap (likely), connect a blue of one winding with the green of the other.
Take care not to connect the blue and green of the same winding together!!!

Normally, there is some sort of indication, but not in your case, so use an ohmmeter, and make the first test with a light bulb in series.

when you say center tap do you mean a ground or earth because I am still struggling myself to figure out where the ground is on my an-5445 .... The input to my amplifier is VAC-GND-VAC ... on the toroidal where is the ground??

Last edited:
when you say center tap do you mean a ground or earth because I am still struggling myself to figure out where the ground is on my an-5445 .... The input to my amplifier is VAC-GND-VAC ... on the toroidal where is the ground??
Don't confuse ground (protective earth) and ground (0V reference for the amplifier).
They might be completely separate.

Give us more details on your amplifier and Xformer to be sure there are no misunderstandings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.